We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beer on the shuttle

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
beer on the shuttle

wondering if it's legal to enjoy a beer or two on the shuttle form San Jose to Jaco?

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beer on the shuttle

Yes it is, no open container law in Costa Rica but ask the driver if its OK with him.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: beer on the shuttle

Nice! Thank you.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: beer on the shuttle

No problem, Ticos are very accommodating as long as you are polite they are always happy to help you make the most of your vacation. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beer on the shuttle

It is 100% possible...the problem most of the time is ...two beers and for some people they need then 4 bathroom stops...a 1 hour ride turn into a 2 hours ride...some not very clean places to stop...plus the driver is also 100% responsible for any luggage problem at any stops...then clean the vehicle..!

The best wait for one hour nad have as many beers as you like!

roadadvisor

Edited: 11:23 am, March 19, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: beer on the shuttle

Better check with the driver as other passengers might not be happy

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beer on the shuttle

Though is probably ok, just like roadadvisor said, beer always means more bathroom stops, if you had a private driver, that would be fine, but since you are going on a shared van, the other passengers might not be too happy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beer on the shuttle

roadadvisor is correct about the bathroom stops. Believe me, it can be a problem finding suitable, clean facilities. Non flushing toilets with no seat are not unheard of. There are some places where you'd have to be mighty desperate to go. Even though we had Luis for our private driver I limited fluid intake before and while travelling.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beer on the shuttle

I'm not sure that as a passenger I would appreciate smelling beer the whole trip, frankly. As Cubanon said - better to use private transportation if you want to do this as it's probably not fair to other passengers.

If you spoke to the driver and asked the passengers if it was OK, they might say "Yes" just to avoid any kind of confrontation. However, I would say "No" and just think about a 3-hour ride with 10 people after that!

Do yourself and everyone else a favor and just wait until you get to your destination.

Edited: 8:05 am, March 26, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beer on the shuttle

One of the best memories of our first trip was our driver welcoming us to the van with a few beers to toast our arrival into Costa Rica. That being said, we didn't guzzle them for our whole trip, but it was a thoughtful gesture on our driver's part, especially since it was unexpected...however, when it happened the 2nd trip it was also a welcome one!!! Just be responsible...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beer on the shuttle

If you have private transportation, it's one thing. But to be in a van with 11 other people, some of whom will not appreciate spending 2 or 3 hours smelling beer fumes, is a whole other thing.