We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

We are planning a trip for May and trying to decide between Makanda by the Sea studios or the Tulemar bungelows. We are married and in our 20's. They both got great reviews but we have 2 concerns. 1. We have read several posts about construction going on at both of these hotels. Anyone experience this or been there recently? 2. We are also worried about the bungelows being too outdated at Tulemar, but the private beach is definately a plus. Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

I would reconsider Makanda based on our recent experience there. My brother rented the entire Makanda By The Sea

seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

I too am debating between the two. What was the problem with Makanda? Just curious. I have been conversing with them for awhile now, trying to make a decision on a wedding destination. They seem a bit formal and have a lot of rules and extra prices. I have also heard Tulemar is outdated but people seem to rate it with high remarks. I am sorry I can't help but I am curious to know what you decide!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

We just came back from MA and went over to Tulemar. Though it looked lovely, they are defintely expanding, so there is construction. Maybe they will be done in two months? Hard to tell how fast things go up there.

We stayed at Si Como No, and honestly, I thought this was the best spot in MA. I'd consider it, if you haven't already. We are in our early 30's and married and we thought it was perfect. Though there weren't many kids there anyway, they have an adult only pool. Just a thought.

Have fun!

Laura

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

Thanks for your replies. We have decided to stay at Si Como No. There have been too many posts about construction at Tulemar, and we don't want to be woken up at 6am on vacation. And Makanda didn't have avaliability on the dates we requested, so we booked a superior room at Si Como No, based on the good reviews. Will post when we get back and let you know how we like it! Can't wait.

quepos, costa rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

Good choice....Jimmy Buffet like si como no also

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

Hi,

If I was asked this question three months ago, I would highly recommend Makanda since I have been there before. Beware it is not the same place I visited before. I was so impressed with Makanda from previous experiences that I brought down twenty five guests to experience my wedding in Feb. On the night of my wedding my brothers room was broken into, with his girlfriend sleeping inside. Many valuables were stolen. It was brought to the attention of the owner Jules and Joe and also to management and the response was nil to poor. The general manager actually laughed at my brother!!!! Zero response, understanding, sympathy, anything. Nobody cared with the exception of the bar staff. Til this day, forty two days later, almost no response. Maybe because they are more concerned about the selling of Makanda which is on the market. La Hacienda, a restaurant we ate at still corresponds to us about this, expressed more concern. If you and your spouse are worried about safety and about being treated respectable go to Tulemar or even Gaia.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

Jyllebean-

We can't wait to hear about your trip. If possible, try to upgrade to a deluxe suite at Si Como No. Its worth it.

Enjoy.

Laura

new jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Makanda by the sea vs. Tulemar Bungelow

Avoid Makanda. There are plenty of places that will make your vacation a treat.