We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

We are going to be in MA mid July. is Snorkelng good at that time of year and how close?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio is "OK"....don't expect Caribbean, Mexico or Hawaii......we have many rivers that run into the ocean here plus mountains and lots of rainfall......so it can be "silty"......some days may be a little clear....and if you go on a "snorkel" cruise....they'll take you to the bay in front of Tulemar/Makanda to swim and snorkel.....fun.....but don't expect too much and you'll be fine.

Tulemar Dave

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

Thanks much!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

Beach number 3 inside of the park..offer some nice spots...

roadadvisor

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

Also not far Uvita Marino Ballena Marine National Park about 50 min drive from MA offers good snorkling.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

The snorkeling this time of year tends to be a bit murky from the water coming out the river mouths. However, the snorkel tour is still very fun, with boating alongside the dolphins, and swimming in warm coves, with a great meal on the boat and an open rum bar. Everyone always has a great time!! Enjoy!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

Do not try snorkeling at the Biesanz beach... We tried it today and it was a major rip-off. Ten dollars for one hour worth of nothing. This guy Lenin tells you "many fish, very safe"... Both of these claims are plain false. You only see one species of fish, and it is not safe at all (we were swimming right on top of rock with waves)...

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

This sounds like a "local independent" selling equipment on the beach at Biesanz....not a legitimate tour operator.....use these people at your own risk.....ask your hotel concierge/house manager about the professional companies.

Tulemar Dave

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

Thank you Tulemar Dave...nice advice...I have had seen people swwiming in some beaches in the Canary Islands that are totally insane...full of rocks and waves...I´m surprised about the post by InesM 1234...

Like any beach around the world..ask locals....and be carefull with strong rip tides...yes $ 10.00 it is a ripp off...our beaches are public...maybe they payed for the equipment not for the beach!

roadadvisor

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
58 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

I wil be in MA in late January and also want to do some snorkeling/whatle watching if that's a good time for it. Should I tie this down in advance or just make arrangements when I get there? Thanks for your suggestions.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling in Manuel Antonio

For whales tours...the best is around Uvita and Dominical...Parque Nacional Marino Ballena...maybe check tikivillas and stay there at least one night to take the whale watching tour.

Some great snorkeling during that time of the year around Caño Island...also possible to take the tour from UVITA!

You can do the bookings once you are here...no problema ...

roadadvisor