We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, Maryland
10 posts
Save Topic
Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

My husband and I are both nature enthusiasts and were hoping to arrange for a tour of the park that caters to a more "informed" tourist. We are the type who like to ask lots of questions. We are headed to CR in mid-February. Any suggestions? Also, is there a better time of day, like the morning, for viewing wildlife in the park?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

Best time to go is actually in the afternoon--that's when the monkeys and sloths are most active.

Morning is best for seeing birds, but Manuel Antonio is a really poor birding spot.

We used Juan Brenes, and recommend him without hesitation.

http://juanbrenes.blogspot.com/

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

Juan Brenes and Maurilio Cordero...phone (506) 2777-0973

Either one great guides...and 100% costaricans...

If you have any problem getting in touch with them let us know here at the forum , we can contact them...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

I like going to the park in the morning when its cooler and doing the tour (with guide!). Then I exit for lunch (there are no services in park), and can easily return with my ticket thru the back gate to return to the beach or to hike Cathedral Point. This method, you get the most out of your $10pp ticket since the park is only open until 4pm. (Closed on Mondays.) For guides (which is the best way to get the most of the park), Juan/Nature Guide on this forum is excellent. I also use Pablo from Manuel Antonio Expeditions who either does the tour himself, or has other excellent guides that he uses. Enjoy!

Bethesda, Maryland
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

LivnLarge and Racandee

I think we will do the tour in the morning since we plan on spending the entire day in the park, and the next day too! It sounds good to tour in the morning, grab lunch and then hit the beach as LivNLarge suggested. Then the next day we can see monkeys in the afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion, Racandee. We will reach out to the suggested guides. One more question. Do you folks think that Keens are ok for hiking in MA? I would prefer to just wear those instead of wearing boots and taking the Keens along. Safety first though.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

They should be fine for Manuel Antonio.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

Best licensed park guide is Manuel Cabalceta Mendez. He is an extremely intelligent & knowledgable guide. We had an incredible tour and saw so much! Manuel sets up his scope quickly/professtionally and we captured incredible photos.

Manuel also recommended a perfect restaurant with a spectacular view of the ocean after our tour. It was the best day of our vacation!

Manuel can be reached via email at manuel.cabalceta@gmail.com or by phone at 506-8719-6195.

NY
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

A NOTE OF CAUTION: we booked Juan Brenes based on the recommendations here. He told us where to meet him and when we showed up there was someone else. The person was NOT knowledgeable AT ALL and our tour found most of the wildlife in the park. The only wildlife he showed us was the animals that other guides told him about! No one on our tour was happy!!! Just make sure you are booking with a specific person. We thought we were.

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
642 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

Not to hijack the thread, but We're going in February and I've sent emails days ago to both Juan Brenes and Manuel Antonio Expeditions and haven't heard back from either one. A little frustrated, but we're staying at Tuelmar Gardens and the concierge there tells me he can arrange a tour for us. crab2010 That's disappointing to hear that you'd arranged to have Juan, who I've read many good things about, but the substitute he sent wasn't good. Maybe I'll try getting in touch with Manuel Cabalceta Mendez as you suggested, jstweart7725.

Pa.
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

I used Juan Brenes last year and was quite unimpressed. My friend, who gives nature tours at home,also was disappointed with him. This year I want into park with my son, his fiance and her parents, when we got off the bus to get some water in Manuel Antonoi, a guide greeted us at the bus stop. We used him, his name was Fernando, and he was bette than Juan, IMO. It seems the local quides have gotten together, wear a turquoise shirt with their logo, but are not affiliated with a tour company. Fernando grew up in Quepos, the local town, and was very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna. Go ahead and prebook if you must, but the organised guides in Manuel Antonio seem to be just as good. And less expensive.

Karen

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
642 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Knowledgeable Tour Guides for Park Tours

Do you mind saying how much Fernando charged for the tour of MA? Just trying to figure out what is reasonable.

Also, I read in a review that Juan Brenes now owns not only Aguila Tours but also Manuel Antonio Expeditions. Anyone else know if that is true?

Thanks