We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makanda by the sea question

Minnesota
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Makanda by the sea question

Hi My Fiancee and I are staying at the Makanda by the sea in february the 25th and I was wondering if anyone had stayed in Villa 8 and what it was like. Also If there is anything we should bring with or need to know before we go..I have heard good and bad reviews on Makanda although most good and was hoping this is true..Also I was wondering if this time of year is really dry or if it gets some rain..I love the rain and was hoping to get one day with some rain.Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makanda by the sea question

Hi Limeows.

I hope people respond to your question. I am intersted in knowing this info as well.

How do you plan on traveling there? What city will you land in and how will you continue your journey to the hotel?

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makanda by the sea question

We stayed in studio # 9 which was below villa # 8. I just got back last night and wanted to return the favor of replying since I used tripadvisor for recommendations. You will definetly enjoy your view and you will have lots of privacy. The staff is great. I'm not sure what the weather is like in February but I can tell you that the 3 day/2 nights we stayed here-it was hot and humid. I would definetly bring bug spray. Also if you feel like relaxing at the end of the day there is a spa that Makanda uses and they will come to your room and set up massage tables and give you a massage which is a nice way to relax. The ocean at Makanda is pretty but it's a hike and there is not alot of beach to lie out on. However, the pool is very pleasant and lying out on the rafts overlooking the pacific ocean is gorgeous. Also, the hike in Manuel Antonio National Park is alot of fun if you want to see Monkeys.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makanda by the sea question

This is great info...thanks!

If I may jump into this with a few other questions:

What was the average cost of the dinner at the hotel for two with wine? Were there other resturants in the area?

How was the water at the beach..clear? murky?

How did you get to the hotel - seems like the recommendation is to fly into San Jose, then fly to to Quepos and then cab it to the hotel.

Thank you so much!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makanda by the sea question

I would rent a car in Quepos instead of taking a taxi. The reason being is Makanda by the Sea (and many other hotels) are of a main road which is a 25 minute walk to the main road. The road is steep and in hot weater you might feel dependent on a taxis if you do not rent a car. If you fly into San Jose you can rent a car (we used Adobe Car Rental through Ticotravel.com) and the drive is 3 hours 15 minutes to Manuel Antonio. Otherwise you can fly into San Jose and then fly into Quepos and drive down to MA.

There are alot of good restaurants in the area:

One night we ate at Le Papillon (I might have mispelled the restaurant) a very nice restaurant (seafood, italian food, etc.) which is at the La Mariposa Hotel a glass of wine there is $4 to $6 US dollars and the entrees run $8 to $32. Of course the seafood is more expensive.

We also like another restaurant Barba Roja dinner for 2 and appetizer and 1 margarita was about $25.00.

remember all the restaurants add in the 10% service charge for the waiter/waitress to all the bills.

Also remember to get to the restaurant in time to see the sunset which was around 5:20 last week.

Lunch at Makanda was about $24.00 with appetizer and no drinks.

If you want to save money head into town to a local grocery store and put beverages and food in the refrigerator provided.

The water at the beach at the National Park is alot prettier and alot clearer. It's worth the drive to the Park to go to the beaches there. The beach at Makanda is small, very small and is rocky and less clear plus it is a hike down some stairs if you are staying in # 7 #8 or #9. The beach is just okay at Makanda. I would opt for a raft in the infinity pool overlooking the jungle and the pacific ocean or head to Makandas National Park and go to one of the beaches there.

Just an FYI- right when you get to Makanda spray your room with bug spray and make sure to close the door and not let mosquitos come in. We didn't have a problem but you never know.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makanda by the sea question

This is excellent information. Thank you so much! So I assume its not difficult navigating a car through the country - guessing not as easy as the US. How much did a car rental cost per day? I've read others doing this as well - always get a bit nervous about the idea of renting a car down their...but I assume you can buy insurance and its not too difficult to find you way around.

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks again for your help.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makanda by the sea question

Basic Insurance is mandatory and is usually included with the rate. We paid around $536 for a SUV (Mitsubitshi Nativa) which included tax and basic insurance for 6 nights/7 days. Usually the deposit (which is refundable) is $800 but we paid $9.00 a day for extra insurance/coverage and only had to pay $100 for a deposit (which was refunded). We used Adobe Car Rental and went through TicoTravel.com . They were very professional and we had no problems. It's unlikely you will get lost driving from San Jose to Manuel Antonio. The only frustrations with driving this route in Costa Rica are the random dogs which seem to linger near the road or kids walking on near the side of the road. Other than that the drive will take about 3 hours and 15 minutes from the airport in San Jose.

new jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Makanda by the sea question

I have rented out the hotel for my wedding until the 25th!!! You gotta love the internet! This will be my third time there, it's fabulous!

Rhode Island
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Makanda by the sea question

Hi, Just returned from Makanda about 2 weeks ago. Weather was fabulous, really only rained at night and then it rained really hard and was beautiful and cooling. We were in villa #6, not sure which one eight was. After doing alot of research we brought a bunch of long sleeved shirts to ward off mosquitos and really didn't ever wear them- we had bug spray towelettes and I am not sure we even needed those...Also, we hired a driver to transport from San Jose and back-was a great way to go- let's just say it is a beautiful ride as a passenger. Don't miss Finca Valmy if you are interested in horseback riding- it was truly beautiful.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Makanda by the sea question

Storie: Just wondering who you hired as a driver from San Jose to Manuel Antonio..we are heading to Makanda next February and will be flying into San Jose...thanks a lot!

Rhode Island
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Makanda by the sea question

Hi,

We found our driver thru an American tour company www.maximtours.com, who hooked us up with a Costa Rican tour company called Excellence Tours. They were so great- always early, super friendly, and knowledgeable. I am not sure if Excellence has a web site but you could e-mail Paul@maximtours.com. Also not sure how much it cost, but Paul said it was the about the same amount as flying, so I think about $150. During the beautifully scenic ride my husband and I kept saying- "We are so glad we are not driving." As there are hardly any signs and pretty mountainous roads. Much better to be just watching!