We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

How far of a drive/flight is it to Arenal from Manuel Antonio or Quepos and what's the best way to attempt to get there?

Would love to do 5 days in Manuel Antonio and 2 days/2nights in Arenal, but not sure of how to fly or get there, or if it makes any sense at all.

Thanks for any info here...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,280 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

It make a lot of sense...and a lot nice visitors like you do it all the time!

From San Jose to Arenal...about 3 hours...good road all the way...

From Arenal to Manuel Antonio...about 4 hours and 20 minutes...good road all the way!

From Manuel Antonio-Quepos to San Jose...2 hours and 45 minutes...

Flying it is possible...but not direct flights...you most fly back to San Jose then connect to Quepos...is not cheap...and with the weather changes...in my case no thank you!

Perfect 4 nights 5 days around Manuel Antonio and 2 days 3 nights in Arenal.

Again DO IT!!...it makes a lot of sense...you can rent a car...or get transfers for about $ 450.00 for all of transfers for two people...or even shuttles...

roadadvisor from Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA!

Let me know if you may have any more questions!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

So to be clear you can drive direct to arenal from Manuel Antonio or quepos? And it's about 4-4.5 hr drive or you have to drive to San jose and then fly?? MA and quepos are only like 30 mins from each other, right? Thanks so much!! This information is REALLY helpful!!

Edited: 2:01 am, September 04, 2010
los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

what about staying in Playa Azul/Nicoya outside of the LIR airport instead of outside SJO airport?

is it also possible to do Arenal as a 1-2 day trip from there also? RoadAdvisor, I PMd you my good friend :)

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

Unsuprisingly, Roadadvisor's driving time estimates are spot-on based on our drive from Manuel Antonio - Arenal a few weeks ago.

I would estimate total driving time to be approaching 8 hours - because of this we chose to break journey overnight at Vista del Valle (just beyond San Jose). It would have been hard work to complete the drive in a single day IMHO.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

Now I'm confused -- whyone, you say roadadvisor's times are spot-on but then you say it takes 8 hours and he says 4 hours 20 minutes. Am I missing something here? Further confusion: San Jose to Arenal, 3 hours, San Jose to Manuel Antonio (Quepos) 2 hours 45 minutes so this would be 5 hours 45 minutes? Now I'm really confused. Help?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

jdro - You can certainly fly into LIR Liberia and stay at one of the north Pacific beaches and then do your 2-3 days at Arenal. Arenal is about the same amount of time from LIR - maybe 1/2 hour more. The beaches are anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours from LIR, depending on which one you choose.

I have never heard of Playa Azul and it is not on my map - where is it or what is it close to?

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

Playa Azul is in Nicoya I believe if that helps?

Can someone help though, it's EIGHT hours 1 way, or does that person mean 8 hours as a roundtrip.....

Again, specificially, to DRIVE to Arenal directly from either MA OR from Nicoya.....how long is the drive EACH WAY and is it an easy drive? Please let me know ASAP, thanks everyone!!! Trying to put as many timeshare resorts down as possible to make sure the wife and I get to go on vacation! :) Looking at El Parador in Quepos and looking at The Sanctuary in Nicoya.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,280 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

I´m 100% sure that nice person WHYONE means to said...8 hours round trip...

Arenal to Manuel Antonio...around 4 hours and 20 minutes..

From NICOYA...drive by the Amistad Bridge to Limonal...take #1 Pan Am Hwy toward Canas...up to Tilaran...Nuevo Arenal...drive around the lake...Tabacon...La Fortuna...easily 4 hours and 30 minutes...

Roadadvisor From Costa Rica and IN COSTA RICA

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

Thanks roadadvisor -- I am sure they meant round trip.

Tamarindo, Costa...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How far to Arenal from Manuel Antonio?

Playa Azul my friend is the next beach to Marbella Beach, at Playa Azul is located the Sanctuary Resort, from Liberia takes around wo hour to get there and usuallly the taxis charges $120 one way so please make sure about wha you want...

Good luck.