We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Fla
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

Hello to anyone who is in Quepos area or was recently.

I was just advised by Sansa that their flights are going to be cancelled for day time travel because of work being done in the Quepos airport, but they are offering to change to a flight leaving SJ at 6pm.

Does anyone know what are the weather/road conditions now?

We are leaving on Friday, and have all hotel and activities reservations, but we dont know if to change our flight and hope for the best, or just drive, to be sure we get there?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated !

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

I think they are offering to change your flight to 6 IN THE MORNING, not 6 p.m. (!) yikes! Quepos airport does not have nighttime service so right there your decision might be made for you. I just traveled the road from SJO to Quepos/M. Antonio yesterday. It's clear with one detour through Jaco b/c of a bridge that is out. There were a few landslides thru the mountains but nothing that came over the roadside. Repost if you'd like more info. Hope this helps! Lisa in Manuel Antonio

Orange County...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

Hi Lisa,

You seem to have so much knowlegde about CR. I love reading your posts. I wanted to ask you a question and hope it's okay to do so here. We are going to MA in the beginning of November. Was MA/Jaco affected by the bad storms? A friend of mine just went and she said to stay away from the Central and Southern part and to stay North. Do you think this is true? If so, can you suggest anything in the North with beaches and rainforest?

Thanks!

Boca Raton, Fla
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

Thanks Lisa,

I just got the e-mail that I was indeed mistaken.

We decided to rent a car, instead of leaving so early in the morning, and enjoy the ride.

When you say a bridge was out in Jaco, is that on the way to Quepos (close to where our hotel is - Tulemar)?

If it is, are there detours and signs on the road, we are both good drivers, but I dont have a detailed map of the area.

(I'll get one when I get to SJO).

I really appreciate your answers, and really cant wait to be there ! Thanks.

Ottawa, Ont.
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

Lissa may have more up-to-date info on road conditions, but I can tell you that Jaco is about 2/3rds the way to Quepos from San Jose. It's the first major town once you hit the pacific coast and head south.

I'd recomend a good guidebook in addition to a map to help navagate around if you plan on doing much driving.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

2partyx2: Jaco is approx. one hour north of Quepos/Manuel Antonio and the road is well marked for the detour. The word for detour in Spanish is DESVIO and you'll see this sign and some orange cones in the middle of the main road. The detour will reroute you thru the village of Jaco and since this is the detour route, the road will be very busy with car and bus traffic so just keep on the route and the detour will bring you back to the main road. You won't have a problem with it. It will add maybe 10 minutes onto your trip, just alittle annoyance but at least you'll see Jaco. Remember if you stop enroute to Manuel Antonio to keep your car in FULL VIEW or leave someone w/ your vehicle. Try to get over the mountains near Atenas before noon as they cloud and fog up early afternoon. The views thru the mountains are stunning. Tulemar is great, you'll love it. Just an FYI, there is a Latitude 9 real estate in M. Antonio but I'm not associated w/ that or any other ventures. Just want to be helpful! Repost if you'd like more info. Lisa

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

ooo21: The weather this year in CR has certainly been strange! (and hasn't it everywhere?) In the Central Pacific area, we were affected by Hurricane Rita; however, the Northwest region (Guanacaste) and Nicoya were adversely affected by Hurricane Stan. Generally the Guanacaste region receives less rain than the Central Pacific and definitely stay away from the Southern Pacific as they are very wet at this time of year until early December. Additionally, many of the resorts in the Osa are closed during October and November for this reason. It's difficult to say which is best in early November. If the Nicoya and Guanacaste experience another "Stan" situation, you're better off further south so I hate to steer you that way. I'd say to "wing it" if you can. Stay w/ your original plans and if the weather is not cooperative, move on to another region. I wish I could be more specific, but you know Mother Nature! Lisa in Manuel Antonio

viera fl
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

Hi I just returned last nite (WED oct 12) The roads are fine just one detour as mentioned I would try to be out of SJ by 1:00 as it gets dark at 5:30 and these roads are not fun in the dark if you dont know where you are going. It has definitly been very wet down there so just take it slow. dont worry the locals are very helpful and most anyone at any hotel or tourist attraction speaks some english and will help you.

Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sansa flights cancelled/ please advise as to weather/road...

You can save yourself some time and misery if you follow the directions below for the detour instead of following the signs. Trust me, I have driven this detour several times in the past week.

Coming from San Jose, when you see the detour signs directing you to the right into Jaco, do not take that road. Instead go around the detour signs and continue on the main road past the school on the right. Directly after the school, take the road to the right.

This road will make a turn to the left and take you through a residential area. Stay on this road and you will go over a small bridge and then come to a stop sign. Turn left at the stop sign and follow this road until the next stop sign. Turn right onto the main road and you are right back on track for Quepos/Manuel Antonio.

You will save 30 minutes on your detour and will be glad you did.