We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

New York, new York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

I have a few questions, I hope there are some friendly and helpful readers who can help!

1-How rainy is the green season we are going the last weekend in October, will the weather dampen (pun intended) the trip?

2-We have only 3 full days. How can we max this time? We are flying into San Jose in the pm then DRIVING (renting a car) to possibly Manuel Antonio. Is driving a good idea?

3-Which leads to next ques, we can only hit one location, should we stay in MA or go to Lake Arenal or where??

4-What is the best hotel to stay at authentic but has charm and good service. How is Si Como no?

*Money is not the concern, just timing and getting the best experience out of this trip.

*We want to see animals and do adventure stuff (this is priority), we like good food and a lil romance too it's my boyfriend and me.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

We were in Manuel Antonio in July and drove from Tamarindo. In November of last year, we drove from Manuel Antonio to San Jose. In both cases, we found excellent roads with no damage except for some bridge repairs that were being conducted due to the eathquate in early November of last year.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

Zeuz,

I think what Nicole was referring to was the flooding that occurred just last week and which led to widespread evacuations, the declaration of a national state of emergency and a number of deaths. Obviously, I haven't driven that road in the past week. I can provide this link http://www.cidi.org/disaster/ixl232.html with some details on the floods effects. It sounds like the route between Quepos and Dominical was knocked out but there was no mention of the road between Jaco and Quepos being effected.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

the rainy season is rainy. It will be sunny in the AM and HOT and HUMID around 2pm. But its beautiful nonetheless, just dress comfortably. I vote MA over Arenal..its very cloudy there and MA has more wildlife.

If you only have 3 days I personally wouldnt drive to manuel antionio. the flight is only 20 minutes..why waste the day in a car? If you must drive I agree with the other users, get a 4X4 and dont scrimp on the insurance a lot of car rental places will try and gouge you for anything they can.

hotel: si como no (IMO) is overpriced and overrated, best bet is the hotel immediately before si como no, called villas nicolas. Smaller, more private, quieter, less $$. check out www.villasnicolas.com

good food: go to "Ronnies place". youll have to drive down a bumpy road for about 5 mins to get there. great food and try and make it right before sunset if you can. its breathtaking!

also the Marlin restaurant by the beach is pretty good..try their tuna burger. and marluna has the best tuna sashimi..the wasabi will take care of your sinuses if youre stuffy :)

aaw Im so jealous, I want to go now!! try to go to the national park EARLY in the am, while all the animals are out! theres a horeback riding place close to the park..thats fun too. if you have any questions you can email me lovesublime_40@yahoo.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

I don't disagree with the other posters (though I have a huge fear of flying in small planes) and it is a 4 hour drive, albeit on good roads from San Jose to MA. I prefer a car simply because I like the freedon to go where and when I want.

If money is no object, consider the Parador, a beautiful resort llocated on a promintory of land below the main road. Hotel California is also very nice with great rooms and a good restaurant. Two interesting places for dinner are Avinal located in a former CIA plane shot down during the Iran/Contra period and El Chato Negro across the street. Good food, great service and views. And for breakfast or a quick lunch Picasso is good.

I agree on Si Como no but not because of the price but because of the family orientation...not romantic. They do have perhaps the best, high quality gift shop though. Its on the main road above the hotel.

And one very important point about MA...the park itself is closed on Mondays though you'll find plenty to do outside the park as well as the town of Quepos just north of MA.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

Normally, my personal preference would be towards driving for the exact same reasons that Zeuz just mentioned - the freedom to go where and when I want. The only reason I think that flying becomes such a worthwhile alternative in this case is because of the greatly limited time you all have down there.

The other thing, I'd like to add is that I've stayed at Villa Nicholas too and would also recommend it as a much more reasonably priced place that would be perfect for a honeymoon. In fact, I couldn't imagine a nicer way to spend a rainy afternoon than snuggling with my bride in the hammock on our villa's covered patio overlooking the jungle below (well, that or finding something else to do inside the villa :) )

Manuel Antonio...
13 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: FIRST TIME IN CR traveling in October-need advice PLEASE :)

The roads from San Jose to Manuel Antonio are good. There are places where rocks fall or mud slides but that usually happens during the hard rains in the afternoon or at night. DON'T do the drive at night and remember it gets dark in Costa Rica at 6 PM year round.

Drive sensibly and you will be fine.