We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarians traveling to Costa Rica

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarians traveling to Costa Rica

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica in early May. We are going to stick around the Rainforests and Arenal region. Anyway, my boyfriend is vegetarian (does not eat any meat or seafood) and I am vegan (do not eat any meat, fish, eggs, or dairy). I was wondering how hard it will be when we are traveling. Any other veggies travel to Costa Rica have any thoughts? Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,475 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarians traveling to Costa Rica

There are a few Indian restaurants in San Jose where you can get vegetarian meals and there are also some Chinese restaurants scattered around the country (tell them you eat "like a monk" so they know it has to be vegetarian). I'd be careful at many of the local restaurants as they often cook their rice with lard and/or chicken broth.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarians traveling to Costa Rica

Typical Costa Rican meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) come with rice, beans, and fried plantains. Fresh fruit smoothie type drinks are available but since you don't eat dairy order them without milk. I'm not vegetarian but I hope this info helps.

UK
Level Contributor
192 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarians traveling to Costa Rica

My gf is a veggie and she had absolutely no problems eating in CR. The CR diet is very basic anyway, so rice and beans is ubiquitous - veggie or otherwise.

Lansing, MI
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarians traveling to Costa Rica

Look for places that have eco-tourism. There are some places that have organic farms that you can stay at that are vegan such as Cascada Verde which is near Playa Uvita.