We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

Austin, TX
12 posts
Save Topic
Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

We're planning a trip for mid-July, and can either do Manuel Antonio or Tamarindo. We're wondering what the weather is "reallY' like in MA in July, and if it's better to go to Tamarindo because it's too rainy in MA or not. Any advice is so appreciated!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

Was there last July LOTS of rain MA

including some mornings.

Tamarindo PM T-showers only

so for me www.tamarindo.com

www.hotelcapitansuizo.com

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

I think Manuel Antonio is a better place to go no matter what the season. July usually has a good reputation for having quite a few dry days.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

Manuel Antonio almost always has better weather than Tamarindo. If its sunny, its hotter in Tamarindo, and if its raining, its raining harder up North. Both beautiful places tho!! Enjoy!

Houston
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

I have visited MA in mid July for the past 3 years and have not found rain to be a problem. All tours and activities are planned for the morning and are completed by early afternoon. When it has rained it usually has started around 2 or 3pm. Sometimes it rains for a brief period of time and at others it rains off and on with a series of showers into the night hours. However, there are periods in between when those showers where it is not raining at all. Also, this is not a daily occurrance. We had as many days with no rain at all as those with pm showers. I liked hanging out on the porch listening to the rain and just relaxing. I prefer MA to Tamarindo because the surf is gentler and safer. However, if you like to surf ,then I guess you would prefer Tamarindo.

Austin, TX
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

Thanks! I'm thinking Manuel Antonio...it just seems like it's such a special place, and if the rain really isn't worse than Tamarindo in July, I think that's gonna be our choice. Can I ask where you stayed in Manuel Antonio or any suggestions you have?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
952 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

It absolutely rains more in MA/central Pacific than in the northern Pacific areas, I don't know why anyone would say otherwise -- are they travel agents? Why do you think it stays so green down in MA?

That said, mid-July is veranillo ("little summer"), and is often the nicest time of the year in both locations.

Be aware that the annual weather patterns have been very strange in CR just like everywhere else.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
952 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

How cute is that weather meter?

As mentioned, weather patterns are changing, but there is definitely more rain further south (MA vs Tam) which is why it is so beautiful and jungle-y down south.

P.S. there are not rip tides (except I'd imagine, in a big storm, never experienced that) on the main MA beach (in the park). However, the rip tides and currents can be brutal on all other beaches in and near the park... much worse than Tamarindo main beach.

Now, MA is gorgeous, not that much less crowded than Tam, but feels more tropical, and definitely much more lush and green with lots more wildlife. That said, more rain, beaches not so accessible for swimming and surfing for the non-expert swimmer and tanner.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
952 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

Oops, intended to mention that I stole that weather meter from Travelicious' response to someone about Arenal weather. Thank you.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

As for lodging in MA, I found Mano Azul to be a great spot,about half way between Quepos, and the park. Have fun, Jon

10. Re: Weather in July - MA or Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 17, 2009