We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for my Honeymoon

USA
9 posts
Save Topic
Questions for my Honeymoon

We are leaving in three days for our honeymoon and need some advice:

How far is MA from Jaco by bus?

It sounds like its well worth the ride, is it?

Is Puntarenas worth visiting?

Where is the best snokling on the Pacific Central area by Jaco?

New England
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for my Honeymoon

Unless you are into seedy port cities, no, Puntarenas is really not worth the trip.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for my Honeymoon

although our scooter wouldn't take us as far north as puntarenas :) i pretty much agree with mr philo. jaco is kind of fun but it's definitely the most touristy type place we found. i'd skip puntarenas and jaco and spend time in MA. i've heard that there's good snorkeling south of MA but have never done it personally. as to your question: MA from Jaco by bus will probably take around 2 hours.

i don't know what kind of honeymoon you're interested in having as i don't know your age, interests, etc... but for my money i'd investigate MA before Jaco. now, if you're in your early 20's and looking to party for 3 straight days then jaco may be the answer! :)

good luck. scott

Long Beach,CA
Level Contributor
518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for my Honeymoon

Hello Hopeful806,

Read the posts on the Manual Antonio where you posted your message. Scroll down and you will see some topics indicating drive time, etc from either Jaco or Quepos. I have not been to MA so not sure what the drive time is but believe it takes an hour from Jaco to MA. Quepos is between Jaco and MA and takes about 20 minutes. We are also leaving in a few days...

Also read posts on the Tulemar/BV Villas in the MA forum - A LOT OF DISCUSSION on what to do and other issues in MA.

Where are you staying in MA? LL

PS: While I haven't done it I think you can also do "search" on forums for certain words (e.g. snorkeling) and maybe get some tips. I didn't get the impression that either Jaco or MA has that good snorkeling.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for my Honeymoon

I think maybe I'm too late but here's my two-cents worth! It takes an hour from Jaco to get to MA. It is well-worth the ride! Try Interbus - $17 one way. Spectacular jungle and lots of animals to see - go to the national park and, if you have time, I recommend the Rainmaker tour. Spectacular beaches in the national park - every see Blue Lagoon? I was just there two weeks ago and I can't wait to go back. The Jaco area is mainly surfing beaches and I don't think there is any snorkeling in the area. If you have time, visit Playa Hermosa just 5 minutes south of Jaco. Spectacular black sand beach, surfers, quaint hotels, jungle comes right up to the beach. Jaco is pretty dirty - not a great town. Playa Hermosa is heaven. I recommend Hotel Fuego del Sol - feel free to e-mail me! Have a great honeymoon!

San Jose
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for my Honeymoon

Don't waste time going to Punta Arenas, yes MA is worth a bus ride, don't over pay $ for staying there, stay in Jaco, best place to snorkel is Playa Blanca , 8 miles north of Jaco beach and Tortuga Island , they have info in the center of Jaco and in a Dive shop on the main street.