We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio to SJO

Scottsville...
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio to SJO

Our flights are at noon on a Saturday. Would love to stay at MA evening before flight. Am I crazy? My main concern is getting rental returned and getting to airport.Could either of these scenarios work... Car rental from Adobe which has office in Quepos. Return car at Quepos and get ride to airport. Would leaving at 7 am get us from hotel at MA to SJO in time for noon flight?(any idea what that would cost?) Or, is there ample time to drive from MA in rental and return it at SJO and make noon flight? Many thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

You could do both, but both scenarios leave you with a short timeframe and you will have with no other option than waking up as early as possible, maybe at 4.30am for you to leave sometime before or at 5.00am. The drive to SJ takes about 3 or 3.30 hours, so you will be getting to San Jose sometime around 8.00 am or 8.30am. If you opt to drive, then after you have dropped off the car at the Adobe car rental in San Jose you will have arrived at the airport in the best of the circumstances 2.30 hours in advance. Do you find it risky? I think it is risky; remember that you need to think of any possible inconvenience you might come accross with.

my opinion is that if you definitively want to stay in Manuel Antonio that night, just go ahead and book a private transfer. i can help with that. If you book transfer services from MA to SJ, it will cost you around $140 or $160 and that will save you the extra time of dropping off the car at the car rental.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

I would try to reduce any anxiety and drive back the day before and spend the night in Alajuela. The roads can be unpredictable and one accident blocking the highway could cause you to miss your flight home.

Spend your last night at Orquedias Inn - they have a great poolside buffet breakfast that is included in the room along with a $10 shuttle to the airport.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

You are not crazy at all!!

1- You can leave Manuel Antonio at 6am getting to San Jose by 9am...ADOBE is about 5 minutes from the airport...you will have enough time to return the car..

2- Or just get a private transfer from Manuel Antonio to San Jose International airport, leaving M.A by 7am...just be sure to mention the driver that you MUST be by the airport by 10am...it is possible and NO crazy! I transfer people like that all the time!

3- The cost about $175.00..(price as a reference NOT a quote)

4- But to answer your question...yes is enough time...close but enough!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

You can definitely do it that same morning, but you'll just have to get up super early, like others have said. If you're going to do that, I'd probably vote for paying someone to drive you back - that way in case there are any problems, at least you'll have someone familiar with the roads and routes.

We hired Manuel Acuña (506-8-332-8726, manacuro@hotmail.com) to drive us. He was amazing! Very reliable, nice, and great rates ($120 back in April, but gas prices have risen and the dollar has dropped, so not sure how much now).

I'd return your car the night before in Quepos, and then have the driver pick you up by 5:30 AM the next morning.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

We had a flight out of SJO around same time...12:30 We opted to spend the night before in San Jose. Glad we did. We had friends that left early in the morning from MA to SJO...they missed their flight. That old bridge in Quepos was being worked on. They sat @ that bridge for over 2 hours.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

Yikes - that's scary. Two hours! Is that one of the bridges that is new now? If so, I'm wondering if that's helping speed up the trip?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

The bridges are kind of scary - here is a link to a video of the bridge

http://tinyurl.com/4a8g2y

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

When I was there in April they were building two new bridges to replace those two old rickety ones - and I've read on here that at least one of them has opened. Don't know if it's true, but if it is, it's got to have a positive affect on travel time (I would hope!).

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

We were there in early Sept - the one bridge is open but you still have the other one where you could be stuck for awhile. We drove from MA to SJO and it was a comfortable 3 hrs+.

If you already have a car why return it early and take a private car? Leave around 5:00A and you should be fine. We did opt to stay close to SJO (at Trapp Family) about 5 mts from the airport.

10. Re: Manuel Antonio to SJO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 10, 2009