We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Options

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Options

We will be staying at Mango Moon in September, and I'm wondering about moderately priced restaurants in the vicinity. Any recommendations for good ones that are within walking distance (or a short cab ride) from the hotel?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,826 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Options

Pretty much anywhere in the Quepos MA area is a short cab ride.

Mango Moon is maybe half a mile give or take off the main MA Quepos road. Once you get to the main road, there are several restaurants in close proximity.

Cafe Milagro, Agua Azul, Barba Roja Salsipuedes the restaurants in Si Como No - Rico Tico and Claro Que si come to mind. El Avion and Gato Negro aren't that far.

A very reasonable place on the road is Angel.

I just answered a post last night giving alot of restaurant detail for the Quepos MA area

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k2204…

enjoy

raquel

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Options

Great -- thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to print them out and take them with us.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Options

Try Salsipuedes while you're there - the food is super yummy and very affordable. It's just a short 5 minute walk up the main road (turn left once you get to Cafe Milagro). Great owners.

You can also check out Angel, just across the street from the Super Joseth grocery store. VERY good and VERY inexpensive. For me, it's walkable from where you'll be staying (less than 10 minutes).

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining Options

Thank you for the suggestions!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining Options

Restaurante "El Gran Escape"...good fish...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining Options

Cafe Agua Azul, the best view in the area with fish fingers, Oriental shrimp, Big Hamburguers, Chicken Barbecue, nachos, guacamole... all of them as tasty and fresh as you can imagine.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining Options

Sounds yummy -- I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
877 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining Options

Everywhere is going to be close. The distance from one end to the other is not great therefore everywhere is a short taxi ride.

Check out Ronny's Place. If it is not raining you can get a good sunset view but in September you will probably have rain at sunset.

In Quepos, El Gran Escape is a good place to get really fresh seafood. This is a spot that many fishermen hang out. Their catch of the day is sure to have truly been caught that day. They have tuna tatare that is to die for if you are in to that. The ceviche (a local dish) is really good too.

I always point out with restaurant questions that you should make sure you also go to local places. Soda's are little local spots that are the equivelant of a diner back in the states. In Quepos there is Soda Sanchez that everyone in the know goes to for very affordable good food. It is all tico (local) food. There are only about 4 tables in the place. Their casados (like a blue plate special) provide a ton of food for only about $3.20. It includes rice and beans, fried plantains, salad, and a choice of meat (chicken, fish, etc.).

We enjoy hanging out at Quepoa in Quepos across from the bus station. It is great for people watching as it is not only in view of the bus station but at the taxi stand. A beer and ceviche can create a nice people watching moment. They have all local cuisine too.

Another place to get some local food is at the restaurant that is right on the beach in Man uel Antonio. If you walk about half way down the beach away from the park you sill see the place with tables sitting in the sand. It is a great place to sit and you can try a casadok, ceviche, seafood soup, or arroz con pollo or mariscos all of which are local dishes.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
279 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining Options

Thanks for the great information. A few more questions: Is it safe to walk at night from our hotel to the restaurants and back? Sounds like everything is pretty close, and I'd love to walk, if possible. Also, do most restaurants accept credit cards, or is cash preferred? If the latter, do they accept US$ or do we need local currency? Thanks again!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining Options

All the restaurants we went to accepted credit cards, except Angel. We probably paid with US$ there - it seems most places will take both and give change in colones.

We walked up and down the main road during the day and at night. It felt safe in terms of crime, but there really aren't sidewalks. There's usually a little dirt path you can walk on, but there are places where there isn't a dirt path - and you may want to cross the street. Just stay really alert of cars passing and take your time.

At night, I was a bit more nervous - but I made sure to wear light colored clothing, and we brought flashlights with us - which we used on the way back and sort of moved them around so oncoming cars could definitely see us. Still, stay alert, stop if you don't feel comfortable and just wait for the cars to go by. Don't be in a hurry.

You'll have to judge it for yourself. We were staying at Tulemar, and only walked from Barba Roja and Salsipuedes in the dark - so it was just a quick little 5 minute walk. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable walking a long distance in the dark with the cars zooming by - but I guess that's part of the adventure! Just be alert and don't rush and you'll be fine.