We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to MA from Montezuma, need advice!

Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to MA from Montezuma, need advice!

My husband and I, along with our 6 year old daughter will be travelling from Montezuma to Manuel Antonio for a 4 night stay at the end of our Costa Rica trip in February.

I wondered if anyone can tell me the best way to travel to MA from Montezuma?

I was considering the speedboat that crosses to Jaco beach, and then a local bus down to MA.

Does this sound like a good idea, or would we be better off hiring a driver to take us the entire way? I had heard it would be a 6 hour trip by car, and that seems too long for our 6 year old.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to MA from Montezuma, need advice!

Hi,

I just did that drive a few weeks ago. It was just me and my friend and it was easy. We actually took the ferry boat over from Paquera to Puntarenas. We already had a rental car. The car goes on the ferry boat or you can ride it without a car. It's cheap. I looked at taking the boat taxi but it's just a 1/2 hour less than the ferry and since we had a car it didn't make sense. There's someone who has posted in here that can book the water taxi for you. I got the impression while I was there that you could it from any of the nearby towns...from Montezuma to Paquera. The ferry is an hour and a half then from Puntarenas you're about 3 hours to Manuel Antonio....if I remember correctly. It's like an hour and a half from Puntarenas to Jaco then another hour and a half to Manuel Antonio. The ferry ride is smooth and the boat has a little shop for something to drink and then go up to the top to sit.

Hope that helps atleast for what to expect.

Tricia

Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to MA from Montezuma, need advice!

That does help, thanks! Maybe I will look into a car then, did you pick up your car at one location and drop off at another?

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to MA from Montezuma, need advice!

We are leaving Montezuma (mid Jan) and taking the water taxi to Jaco. BTW, there are buses from there(Jaco) or there are car rental places in Jaco. I think you save a lot of time. It is about 45 minutes across on the water taxi, then add 1.5 hrs to MA. Sure beats going from Montezuma up, then catch the ferry (1.5 hrs), then 1.5 hrs to get to Jaco. We actually have a driver taking us from San Jose a wk earlier to Mal Pais, which is going to take 6 hrs. Then do the water taxi to get back. Look into the note on the coupons earlier as it will let you get 20% off of your tickets with Zuma tours (for the water taxi).

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to MA from Montezuma, need advice!

Hi,

I picked up the car in Tambor and dropped off in San Jose. We could've picked up and dropped off in Tambor then picked up another car in Puntarenas. For us the ferry was a better choice. For others the water taxi may be better. I guess you just need to weigh the options.

Tricia

5. Re: Travelling to MA from Montezuma, need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 15, 2009