We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera -- January weather and its use

Watervliet
Level Contributor
5 posts
128 reviews
Camera -- January weather and its use

We plan on bringing a new digital camera for our January trip. We will be in Arenal, Manual Antonio, and the Osa. We hope to do horseback riding, kayaking in the mangrove, and canopy walks, with other activities to be decided once there. We're a little nervous about descriptions about rain, and moisture, and if and how this will affect our camera useage. Should we bring waterproof carry bags? Is it safe/okay to use camera w/out a cover to keep the moisture out? Should we leave the camera back at our hotel when kayaking or going on the horseback ride? Any thoughts?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Camera -- January weather and its use

You are here during the dry season. In other words, your camera will be okay. Naturally, should it rain, you should protect it, but humidity levels are comparatively low during the dry season and pose no threat to the average digital camera.

Watervliet
Level Contributor
5 posts
128 reviews
2. Re: Camera -- January weather and its use

Thanks so much for your reply.,...I've been busy reading forums and comments and I'm pretty sure I've seen your comments with other postings as well.

We're looking forward to this first trip to CR. Still trying to figure out some of these particulars, including these questions about these particulars about our camera-- So, on a kayaking or horseback ride, would you take the camera along for the ride or leave it back in the hotel safe?

I

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Camera -- January weather and its use

I always bring my camera with me. However, depending on what activities I am about to do, my camera varies. For horseback riding, I have no problem bringing a DSLR, for zip-lining, I am usually happier with either a bridge camera or a small P&S, and for kayaking, I'd probably choose either a bridge or a P&S, depending on how motivated I feel. In other words, you can bring a camera to any activity, as long as you know how to make sure it stays safe.

Obviously, you didn't mention what type of camera you are thinking of bringing. However, anytime I find myself on a body of water in a small craft that can capsize, I tend to assure that my equipment has the best possible chance of surviving. Hence, I would either pack my camera in a waterproof bag (such as Aquapac or any o-called "dry bag") or a sturdy and watertight plastic container. If it's a small camera, you'll probably be fine with one of those re-usable plastic containers that zip-loc makes. For a bigger and more valuable camera, I'd invest the US$60 or so to get a real bag, though, that is guaranteed to keep the water out.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
163 posts
4. Re: Camera -- January weather and its use

One thing you can do is bring along one of the cheap underwater cameras and use that on excursions where you feel nervous about moisture.

They are not very fancy , but I'm not a fancy photographer so they work for me.

Carol

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Camera -- January weather and its use

The thing you have to be most careful about is bringing the camera out of an air conditioned space, to a hot and muggy one. The condensation will build up immediately. You should acclimatize the camera about 20 min. before you turn it on. The same goes for binoculars.

6. Re: Camera -- January weather and its use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 01, 2009