We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights too long in MA?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 nights too long in MA?

We'll be traveling from La Fortuna then not sure if I should spend 2 or 3 nights at Monteverde? The longer we stay at Monteverde the less we'll get to spend at MA.. 3 or 4 nights

any advice? What is there to do beside relaxing at the beach? (don't get me wrong, that's good)....We would've done lot of outdoor/canopy/ activities already.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights too long in MA?

We spent five nights in Manual Antonio. Originally we were going to do both Monteverde and Manual Antonio, but like you started looking at the offerings and realized that if we did Monteverde first, there wasn't as much that we were really interested in doing in Manual Antonio, except the beach. In the end, we opted for Manual Antonio for our whole stay, just so there would be less traveling and several days with some 1/2 day tours and 1/2 days at the beach/pool. We only had a week in the country (a short spring break trip) and airline schedules meant two nights in San Jose (one when we arrived and one before heading back home). We're not really into spending the whole day at the beach, but love stopping by for a few hours here and there. Here's are some of the things that we did, for a few ideas. Being one of the more popular tourist areas, Manual Antonio has a lot of tour offerings and lots of great choices for dinner etc., but so many tours/activities as you stated will be similar to things you've already done. You might want to look at the Iguana Tours web site and see if there is something there that appeals to you in particular. They are one of the largest tour operators in the area.

Tours we did:

Mangrove Boat tour with Iguana tours -- This was one of the longer tours that we took. Our guide was excellent, and I thought this was quite interesting. It's a favorite tour in Frommer's guide too. Our tour included dinner. Total time with transportation was about 8 hours. (Start and end times are dependent on the tides.)

Manual Antonio National Park -- We got a guide at the entrance (That meant he found wildlife we would not have seen on our own that we could see through his scope), but we actually ditched our tour -- left about a 1/2 hour to spend more time at the National Park beach vs. walking back and returning to the beach. // I think whole tour with the guide is just two hours.

Butterfly house by Si Como No -- We went on the short one hour tour and spent about a 1/2 hour before the tour looking around. Not a must do, but very enjoyable for us. It was a must do for my son because he is such a huge Monarch fan and they are native to this area (here all year round). They don't migrate like the North American Monarchs. I know there is some sort of butterfly house offering in Monteverde, so again you might want to do one or the other if you're into this sort of thing, but probably not both.

TiTi Canopy Tour // This was just 15 minutes from where we were staying, so was more a a 1/2 day tour (two hours) plus time before and after for signing in, snacks, looking at pictures. You will have already done one of these and although fun, I whole heartedly agree that one on a vacation would be plenty.

Dolphin watch tour // We went out on a boat with a guide to spot the bottle nose dolphins, see the brown boobies diving for fish, etc. // included a stop to swim, etc. (booked through our hotel -- La Posada) -- I think they had snorkle equipment on board too, but we're not talking clear waters like the Carribean here, and this is not the place for snorkeling or scuba. My son is a huge marine mamal fan, and this was his favorite tour. My favoritie was the Mangrove boat tour.

We liked the public beach. It was stunning with all the rock formations and cliffs in the background, had a nice surf -- We like a surf, and the public beach was close to where we were staying, so we did a few short trips over to that.

Hope this gives you a few ideas, and definately check out the Iguana tours website.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights too long in MA?

hi like to travel lots

husband and i just got back from CR.. we spent 1 night in monteverde which was plenty, we did the skytrek.. beautiful then ate dinner in a tree at the treehouse restaraunt ( 4$ cab ride from hotel ) that was neat..and good food too; other than that didn't seem to have too much else we wanted to do,, would have rather spent more time in MA

spent 2 nights in arenal, bridges, hike volc. hot springs was great then to MA for 2 nights could have stayed there even longer.. beautiful beaches, and toured the park ( get a guide 20$ per person but so worth it ) you can take a bus from Quepos for about 40 cents to and from the park, ate at el avion the airplane restaraunt also good food

let me know if you need a driver ( i know a great one,) or other info,,

hope this helps deb

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights too long in MA?

Thank you SO MUCH for the detailed reply!!! We're going to stay for 4 nights!!!

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
80 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights too long in MA?

just soemthing a bit different. Titi canopy do a nighttime ziplining which is really cool.

5. Re: 4 nights too long in MA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, September 14, 2009