We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what types of birds?

texas
4 posts
Save Topic
what types of birds?

hey y'all, im trying to decide between a few vacation spots. would like to do some birding and am trying to get an idea of what kind of birds are cruising around MA. are we talking colorful parrots? or various other birds?

Sacramento...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: what types of birds?

You will not be overwhelmed by fauna at Manuel Antonio. I would skip and head to Bahia Drake (to the south), where you'll see flocks of red macaws, pelicans, egrets and a variety of other birds. In addition, wild pigs, white faced monkeys, squirrel monkeys, howler monkeys, agouti, and a host of other mamals in the jungle. In the water, dolfins, sea turtles, nurse sharks and a variety of fish. Stay at La Paloma Lodge, fantastic. Or Monteverde in the North to see the Resplendent Quetzel and a variety of others.

The most birds I've observed was in Panama. Blue Macaws, Toucans, Egrets, Pelicans, parrots, and much much more. Pearl Islands and Chiriqui Highlands were my favs.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what types of birds?

Joe

CR is considered by birdwatchers one of the top destinations in the world, because of the combination of a progressive conservation policy (not perfect, I know, but better than most), a great range of habitats in a small area and a stable/safe political and physical environment.

If you're serious, try to pick of the Styles and Skutch "Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica" published by Helm. My copy (2002) says 40 UKPounds on the back - that might be about $65-70. If that seems a lot, you might pick a 2nd hand one up on Amazon.

For free info, somewhere like fatbirder.com or birdtours.co.uk has loads of trip reports - or you can check out our report on avengerpenguins.com - there are a few photos too. Expect lots of hummingbirds, tanagers, birds of prey and herons/ibises in wet areas. Trogons and toucans and parrots can also be seen in many areas.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America