We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
36 reviews
Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

We are planning a trip in early December for 4 families with teens and are looking at renting a house for a week rather than a hotel stay. We are considering homes in both the Jaco area and Manuel Antonio area. I would love to hear the pros and cons or suggestions of which is the better area to stay and if the home rental is a good idea. We will be renting a vehicle and plan to visit a volcano. We are sightseeing with the teens rather than hanging on the beach however we will require some beach time.

Thanks for helping.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
1. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

A home is more intimate and everyone is forced to be together whereas a hotel you're in seperate rooms and have a restaurants with others guests. One advantage to a hotel would be some of the amenities that a villa can't offer (onsite) however most villas now have property managers who can pretty much set up anything you want to do.

If you want to see Arenal you'll be about 6 hours from MA. There are some decent villas in Jaco but I think you'd be happier in Manuel Antonio. Lots of villa companies there....one in particular Escape Villas. They have some large villas that can accommodate everyone. The office staff can get you set up with whatever you need.

If you want to spend time with your families then I think a villa is a good choice.

Tricia

CA
Level Contributor
408 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

Try www.VRBO.com. Ton sof beautiful homes, villas and condos for rent. Some even include a chef and maid service. The listing are for all over CR.

California
1 post
3. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

There is a development of houses about 15-20 minutes from Jaco, called Costa Del Sol and Costa Real. They have 2 and 3 bedroom homes for rent in a gated community with tennis courts, pool, clubhouse, bike paths, and a 3.5 minute walk to Playa Bejuco (my friend timed the walk).

The great thing about these homes is that they have all master bedrooms, so no one ends up with the "small bedroom", and every bedroom has its own bathroom. Not sure how many people you are traveling with, but you could rent a 3 bedroom and have the kids sleep in the living room, or you could rent two 2 (or 3) bedroom houses.

This development has its own on-site property management, and the homes can be rented for short term stays. I don't have the contact info for these homes, but I can get it if anyone is interested. twilson@compasscostarica.net

Enjoy CR!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,745 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

A few ideas and some advice!!

Do not pay any taxes when you rent a house...the owners most of the time do not report that tax to the goverment...if they do...ask to have a official money receipt from the person or company that owns the house! ( They will pocket 16.39% more)

Be sure that the house is safe...mostly at night...and while you are going to the beach, etc.

Some houses are great and are in a good location...you have to be sure that the house is located in a beach that have good safety records...some times people rent a great home...but to late they find out that is a dangerous beach...mostly Central Pacific and Dominical!! ( mostly when you have young people).

Be sure that all the promises are true...I have cases that people rented a house and find out to late...that the A/C were not working...or the keys were terrible...have some kind of legal deposit...that you can get back in case you need it!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

100% costarican and proud of it!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
5. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

Agree with all of the above. Manuel Antonio is much nicer than Jaco.

Better hotels, restaurants and rental homes, Jaco has developed

because it is the closest beach to San Jose and is decidely less

beautiful with almost no wild life. MA is teeming with monkeys and

sloths and a huge variety of birds, butterflies and other creatures. It

is also more upscale than Jaco.

Renting a house can give you all of the amenities that a hotel does

but with more personalized service. You can get a chef, in-house

massuese, driver, or local guide. As said above, a hotel will give you

more privacy and space from your companions.

In addition to VRBO check out Homeaway.com., they also have a big

listing of homes in Jaco and Manuel Antonio.

Escape Villas has the most listings of rental homes and the biggest

one, Casa Las Brisas.

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

Thank you all for your input. Our group of 18 ( ranges in age from 15 to 60 somethings) have rented Teak Villa at Mimos hotel for the end of November. I'll post our review when I return for others who may be interested . We rented through

Rod Peterson

www.propertiesincostarica.com

www.allexclusiverentals.com

E-mail: sales1@propertiesincostarica.com

Stay tuned.....

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

Thank you all for your input. Our group of 18 ( ranges in age from 15 to 60 somethings) have rented Teak Villa at Mimos hotel for the end of November. I'll post our review when I return for others who may be interested . We rented through

Rod Peterson

www.propertiesincostarica.com

www.allexclusiverentals.com

E-mail: sales1@propertiesincostarica.com

Stay tuned.....

8. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:46 pm, March 25, 2008
EscapeVillas02
4 posts
9. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

Hi from Escape Villas,

Once again, we feel the need to respond to CRgringo’s negative posts.

If these comments worry you, we suggest you investigate the entire Trip Advisor site. No other person who has stayed with us has ever posted complaints of double booking or change of homes. Surely if there were such a problem, there would be corroboration. You will also note that CRgringo has never stayed in one of our houses (we suspect it is an owner of a competitive villa), and the vindictive tone belies a grudge of some sort.

Sites like Trip Advisor can be a great help for everyone, but unfortunately they also allow for unsubstantiated claims. We will happily provide anyone with hundreds of recommendations, both from previous customers and numerous local businesses who often refer vacationers to our villas.

10. Re: Any comments on renting a home VS hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 15, 2009