We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

Hi all

After reading some posts, I heard that the airport is closed? for renovations and some flights are cancelled... Any Input?

70 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

Is it? Where did you see it? I have just gone on Nature Air's site and pretended to book a flight to MA/Quepos for Nov. 30, seems OK. http://book.natureair.com/

Here is their Contact Info, by the airports: www.natureair.com/contact-nature-air.html .

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,826 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

The airport was supposed to close in October for renovations or repairs. However, right after Tropical Storm Nate, they decided to delay the closure. As far as I know, they have not set a date for closing it.

Sansa has been making arrangements to use a private air strip in the area when the closure does happen. They say Nature Air is also looking for alternatives.

But since the situation is up in the air, (or actually maybe not be up in the air :) you might feel more assured booking a private driver to get you there. You can schedule it for a time convenient to you. The ride is door to door.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,280 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

Up and running…enjoy Manuel Antonio and La Managua airport

roadadvisor

Brevard, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

That's what my boss told me today that it also would be closed when he is there in February, but I can't find anything about it online. He said Sansa was going to fly into another airstrip during that time. Does anyone know for sure?

Edited: 9:53 pm, November 12, 2017
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,280 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

I will ask around but have not heard about moving the airstrip…

roadadvisor

Brevard, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

Thanks - I'm very interested to hear, because I'll need to change his rental car arrangements.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

I posted this reply to a similar question two days ago.....It is a very confusing situation for us here as well.....we've been told for the past month that the airport was being closed for the expansion of the runway......then the closing postponed and new dates given......the airport is open and functioning and I'm not aware of any new scheduled closing dates......we have been told that when the airport is closed.....the local carrier Sansa has contracted with a private airport only minutes away to continue service......but limiting the number of passengers per flight......we were also told that Nature Air was negotiating to offer the same service but it had not been finalized......Sansa and Nature Air provide us with little or no information......frustrating......my advice......if they will sell you a ticket.....book it....but check with them often on the status of the flight.....you can always find alternate forms of transportation even a day or two in advance.....good luck!

Tulemar Dave

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

i drove by there yesterday and saw two private planes parked and saw taxis and vans waiting for the commercial flights.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

We just received this information from Sansa.....I cannot confirm if it is true or will happen.....but they said the new dates for closing the airport are from Nov 20-Feb 1st......they will fly into the private airport nearby called Boca Naranjo about 2 km away from the Quepos Airport.....we have not been told where the arrival/departure facilities will be (old airport or new airport)......still waiting to hear on what Nature Air plans to do.

Tulemar Dave

Chandler, Arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?

We finally were able to speak with someone at NatureAir regarding an upcoming reservation from San Jose to Quepos. They told us they are now flying into Palmar and would shuttle us back to Quepos. They indicated this would be a one-hour ride from Palmar to Quepos. At this point, it seems like it might be more reasonable to hire private transportation from San Jose to Quepos and cancel our reservation (which has already been purchased). Your thoughts?

Reply to: Manuel Airport Closed for Renovations? Cancelled flights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted