We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

We fly into San Jose on Sunday, plan on rafting Pacarue River on Monday and Tuesday... and then we are planning on heading out to Manuel Antonio on Wednesday. We are hearing that the roads are currently closed to Manuel Antonio. Will the roads be open by Wednesday?

Thank you!!

Sara V.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

Probably but it's too soon to tell. Better check with your rafting tour operator upon arrival because they're unlikely to raft if the water level is too high.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

Re rafting: Having seen news/videos of how the water levels in CR are now, I have some doubts...

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

We have been told the roads between San Jose and Manuel Antonio are open and somewhat passable.....just not in the condition like before......we have guests scheduled to arrive at SJO at 7 AM today and a private van/driver will bring them over.....(there have been no changes so we are expecting them as scheduled).....I would not drive yourself at this time.....too many hazards.....not enough signs......but you should be able to get here......and yes you should check with the rafting company as many have cancelled their trips for the next few days.

Tulemar Dave

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

I’m here now. And last night a couple took seven hours by driver from San Jose to here.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

Our driver came from San Jose took three hours. It took us about an hour and a half to reach Jaco. We stopped once for less than a minute because there were four utility vehicles in the road. At another site we had to wait about five minutes to share the road because three big chunks of the road were missing. We passed over an Overcrossing/bridge that they rebuilt in one day on Friday!

As for visible damage that was more in the south then there was here. There was less and less on the way up. There were some downed trees and alot of tree debris against fences in a few places. Other than that it would be hard to tell that something bad had happened here. The roads were clear; no traffic and it’s actually a very beautiful and fast drive - what a lovely country Costa Rica is.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

We have had very good reports on the road conditions between San Jose and Manuel Antonio.....only a couple of places that have some restricted passage......slow.....but OK.....again I would use a private van and driver to take you thru......if you decide to drive yourself......I would not do it at night.....the roads and asphalt overall are in good shape......but many areas near the roads were washed away leaving little or no room for emergency parking or maneuvering.

Tulemar Dave

Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
7. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

Dave,

Thanks and its Chris and Nancy! We will be coming down and wondered how you guys fared in the storm? Glad to hear you are all well. Will come by and say hello next month!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

HI Chris and Nancy......happy to hear that you're coming down again......all is well in Tulemar.....looking forward to seeing you two!

Tulemar Dave

G B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

Hurricane Nate has left parts of Costa Rica pretty battered, and we're going for 10 days in late October.

We're basically only driving SJO to Quepos/Manuel Antonio and back, which is highway 34 if I am not mistaken.

My general feeling--and may the Costa Ricans be blessed in their re-building--is that for a country that relies on tourism, and that is used to mud and rain washouts of highways etc., they should be rebuilding, at least the major roads, pretty soonish?

The best sources I have found are below: do you have any other/better sources for keeping up to date as to what is the current state of the various CR highways?

https:/…

ticotimes.net/2017/10/05/tropical-storm-caus…

CR is additionally used to a sometimes brutal rainy season every year, so in your opinion: do you think it is too much to expect to be able to get around on the main highways in about 3 weeks from now?

Best regards!

PS: Also posted this in CR forum. Mods pls delete that one if required.

Edited: 4:08 pm, October 09, 2017
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,670 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Are the roads open from San Jose to Manuel Antonio?

Yep…it is open…you can expect some delays…nobody knows when or where but road is open…

I have driving a lot of our costumers mostly to Jaco and Marriott Los Suenos….as today…no problem…

roadadvisor