We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice to plan w/in timeline

Which Manuel Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Worth Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
need advice to plan w/in timeline

Hello!

We are a family of 5 with kids 20,19, and 15 yrs. old. We want to see as much flora and fauna as possible, do a white water trip,maybe a zipline, and of course the beaches. (I've read mixed reviews about what you really see on a zipline- is it worth it?)

We will be there one week. Will it be possible to take in Sarapqui, Cano Negro, Arenal Volcano, and Manuel Antonio within that time frame without being wiped out?

We will fly into San Jose June 27th and rent a car.

I think thisis probably unrealistic but I don't know what to cut.

Any advice?

Thank you for any advice you can give! Lisa

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice to plan w/in timeline

hola Lisa, sounds good , I personally do not get much out of the zip line , however , alot of tourist seem to enjoy this alot , if you want ot get an idea on the various activities , take a look at this site . www.dosoceanostours.com.

what hotels are you staying at ?

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice to plan w/in timeline

The zipline canopy tours are more of a THRILL than anything. You really dont get to see much of the wildlife; however, you will see dart frogs, parrots, monkeys, and possibly a Tucan.

If your looking for a slow paced adventure that is similar, you might want to check out the canopy walk on suspension bridges outside of Quepos...However, the teenagers would 100% love the zipline!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
945 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advice to plan w/in timeline

You have TOO much travel planned for a week. Although I love Manuel Antonio, I think you need to drop it from your itinerary... all your other destinations are north and north east of SJO. Heading south to M.A. will be difficult within a week.

You didn't say when your flight arrives in SJO -- some flights arrive in the morning, but most at night (and you can't drive at night). Also, if your return flight leaves early in the am, you'll need to stay in or near San Jose the night before. The Marriott San Jose is really nice, but consider Xandari with your kids. There is a nice hike to a waterfall on the property, and kind of a clubby atmosphere at night with the kids watching videos in the tv room. If your 19 and 20 year olds are girls, they have a nice spa. Don't bother going into downtown San Jose.

If you arrive to SJO with enough daylight (time to drive before dark at 6pm), then head straight to Sarapiqui. You're going there to river raft, right? so you'll probably need 2 nights.

Then to Arenal, where you should stay at least 2 nights. In fact, if you're losing two nights in and out of San Jose, consider staying in Arenal for the rest of your trip and doing Cano Negro as a day trip.

Save your canopy tour for Arenal. You won't see much nature, but you can't possibly deprive your kids of a canopy ride in CR. If you want more "view" then do the Sky Trek/Canopy in Arenal.

I really think you would all be wiped out if you tried to add Manuel Antonio to your itinerary unless you can afford a charter plan. Normal plane routes shut down between SJO and Fortuna in the rainy season (and even if they were flying that route, it is Quepos-SJO with waits between each leg). Without a charter, whether you fly or drive, you'll lose a whole day getting from Arenal to M.A. The drive from Arenal to M.A. is 5 hours and from M.A. to SJO 3 hours. You definitely would want to stay at least two nights there.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need advice to plan w/in timeline

There is NO WAY you want to squeeze all of those places in- going to Manuel and Arenal is ENOUGH

5. Re: need advice to plan w/in timeline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 25, 2009