We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car or shuttle from airport

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest
12 posts
Save Topic
Rent car or shuttle from airport

I forgot in my post about hotels to ask about car rental. US State Dept notes that there have been robberies of rental cars from SJO airport. A friend has advised that this is most likely to the more heavily populated resort areas, but it makes me nervous. State dept bulletin say no incidents since april 06, but also no apprehension of the criminals.

Can anyone familiar w/ the area advise me as to whether or not a rental car is necessary, and if so, is it safe to drive 3 1/2 hours from the airport?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car or shuttle from airport

The majority of people who rent cars have no problems - as long as they exercise common sense and prudence. For example, never leave stuff in your car - like luggage and other valuables even if you think it is well locked. Many car break ins have been reported all over the country.

There have been carjackings on the auto pista - the highway from San Jose that goes past the airport and onward. These carjackings were not restricted to tourists. One of my Tico friends traveling with a colleague was a victim about a year ago and the whole thing traumatized him.

To get to MA you have several options other than renting a car. However, if you do decide to rent one, the road is quite good - except for the last approximately 10 miles which has several narrow bridges. The first part of the road - is quite hilly and winding. It is not advisable to drive after dark (sun set is around 6.00 PM - especially the first time you do the trip.

As for whether you need a car in the Manuel Antonio area - that is a matter of personal preference. You can easily get around using a combination of local bus and taxis and some walking. The road from Quepos to Manuel Antonio beach, along which many of the hotels and restaurants etc. are located is not overly conducive to walking as there are no sidewalks and a fair amount of traffic on a narrow 2 lane winding road. Some people do prefer the convenience of a car, especially of they want to explore areas outside the MA area - like Matapalo or Dominical or even Damas or Londres. We personally never rent one.

So really there is no definitive answer to your question. You will probably be fine - but sometimes bad things happen. You can manage without a car - but you might want one.....

Pura vida

raquel

2. Re: Rent car or shuttle from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...