We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose - Malpais

Which Mal Pais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria
5 posts
Save Topic
San Jose - Malpais

Hi,

I am heading to Malpais on May 20th. My flight gets in at 12:30, not sure of the quickest way to get to the ferry. I was thinking of spliting a cab with my 3 companions? Anyone know a realistic travel time from San Jose to Malpais?

Malpais, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Jose - Malpais

For a taxi, id email or call the hotel ahead and ask them to arrange one, usually there is cabs there, but better safe than sorry.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Jose - Malpais

Make reservation for a tourist bus it's $35 to $40 and will take 6 hours. Your hotel in Mal Pais should be able to set it up for you. Otherwise you can probably rent from Budget and drop the car off at their office in Mal Pais.

Jason

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: San Jose - Malpais

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation- also headed to Mal Pais, and want to get there ASAP. Mone is an issue, but we want to make the most of the short amount of time we have there (we have to head to Arenal for a wedding 3 days later).

We arrive in San Jose at 1:20, and are planning on catching a Nature Air flight to Tambor at 2:30. I'm still wondering what the best way to get from Tambor to Mal Pais is...

Does anyone know the aproximate cost of a taxi ONLY from Tambor to Mal Pais?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: San Jose - Malpais

caitwing, sorry, but you're NOT going to make your 2:30pm Nature Air flight. Figure 25-60 minutes to clear SJO International upon landing, then a ~25 min taxi to Pavas/Bolanos airport where Nature Air is located... And you need to check in 45 minutes prior to departure of your domestic flight.

Check to see if Sansa (www.flysansa.com) has a later flight. They leave from the domestic terminal around the corner at SJO.

Judging by recent posts and PMs, people seem to be getting taxi quotes from Tambor to Montezuma or Mal Pais in the $35-45 range. See what your Mal Pais accommodations quotes you for a pickup and then either take it or use that as a baseline for negotiating with a taxi in Tambor upon landing.

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: San Jose - Malpais

Thanks for posting.

I gather a taxi to Mal Pais is around $35 and takes about 45 mintues.

As per the flight from San Jose to Tambor- there's a 3:15 flight on Nature Air (no afternoon flights on Sansa) - that gives us nearly 2 hours. I hope that will be enough time... since we're not checking bags.

Next question: the most interesting driving from Mal Pais to Arenal?

16. Re: San Jose - Malpais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 31, 2009