We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

Getting closer to our trip in December and we want to rent 2 ATVs to explore the beaches, etc above us....Are there places to rent them in the area, how much approx, and what about locks, for when we might leave it for a walk on the beach?

On a similar note, can we access the Cabo Blanco Park somehow from this side with an ATV?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

We are traveling to Mal Pais Jan 2 for our honeymoon. I was quoted $70 per 24 hr period for each machine. Search on Facebook- "Mal Pais" then go to click on pages on left hand side. Scroll down and you will see Mal Pais ATV or Quads. It gives you numbers and contact email.

Also found out paddle boarding etc.....

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

Here is the link:

facebook.com/pages/…119163398117170

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

Shop around. The longer you rent the cheaper it is. Some companies make you bring the ATV back full of gas. The gas station is outside of town. I prefer the places that don't make you bring the tank full. Some companies will pick you up and drop you off. Some have insurance some don't. Some will take credit cards some want cash. Then of course,some have newer and nicer ATVs.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

I have a friend that recently rented ATV around there...he went and bought a gas container and fill it up...once ready to return the vehicle...he had gas...well I do not know I fI will go that far...but he thought was a samrt option..let see what the experts have to said...I know they will said somenthing!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
59 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

There are countless ATV rental places in town. Prices are usually $70/24 hours, $60/day for 3+ days, and $50/day for 7+ days. Most don't care if you return the tank full, but you'll be charged for the gas you used. No, you can't access Cabo Blanco from the MP side, you need to go to Cabuya. But the back road between Mal Pais and Cabuya is stunning, a beautiful drive, especially on an ATV. In a 4x4 vehicle the road gets a little rough. Don't need locks, just be sure to take your key out every time. As mrolfes mentioned, most of these places will drop off the ATV for free at your hotel, which is handy.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

I think that roadadvisor's friend was smart in getting a small gas container. The gas station is a ways out of town and it certainly would cut down on the fuel consumption to make as few trips up there as possible! It would be handy to have some extra gas on hand too!

Renting a Quad is almost as expensive as renting a vehicle!

You really do have to shop around. There are plenty of places that rent quads....just be aware that many don't have insurance and if the quad gets stolen, you have basically bought it, if you get into an accident, who knows....you should be properly licensed, but many places don't ask, you are legally supposed to wear a helmet, but many don't supply one, or if they do, people don't wear them. Ditto on what mrrolfes has said!

There is really only one public access to the park and that is in Cabuya. Although the park does border Mal Pais, you can access the 'Swiss Beach' but there are no trails on the Mal Pais side and anyone who wants to hike the park must go to the main entrance in Cabuya.

The back-road to Cabuya from Mal Pais if often passable on a quad, but that can change in an instant if the October rains are torrential. If the road gets washed out, it isn't repaired until well into December or even January, so the answer to your question is 50/50 just ask when you get here!

If you do rent a Quad, please remember to:

- not drive on the beaches. It may look like fun but the salt destroys the quads and even though you may think you are fooling the rental company by saying you didn't, they know! Also, you may not know you are driving over turtle nests (they are not marked) when you leave the road and get onto the beach.

- keep to the speed limits on the roads and watch the dust you are kicking up for the pedestrians, the faster a quad goes, the more dust is created!

Many people get caught up in the thrill of being on vacation in a foreign country and not use their common sense. Stay alert, be respectful to people and nature and enjoy your stay in Mal Pais!

7. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, October 17, 2011
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

CDBirmingham, My husband and I are traveling to MP on Jan. 6 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We are staying at Moana Lodge. Looking forward to it. Best of luck on your wedding and congratulations! I am now getting into the thick of research for the trip. If you find anything noteworthy, let me know!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

if you are renting an atv in the dry season you should seriously consider goggles and a dusk mask. dust isn't a big deal once you get away from the towns where there is less traffic, but in town it's a big help, and if you are travelling with a group of atvs i would say it's a necessity.

10. Re: ATV rentals in Mal Pais?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 24, 2012