We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap stays in Mal Pais and St Teresa

Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap stays in Mal Pais and St Teresa

Does anyone know of any cheap beach bungalows or condos or surf camps or hotel rooms in these areas, and which city do you recommend?

I want to stay in a safe area on the beach. Just me, my girl, and our backpacks and we want to stay in Costa like they used to years ago.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap stays in Mal Pais and St Teresa

Here is a link to some accommodations in the area....go through the list and look at Santa Teresa, Cabuya, Montezuma, Mal Pais.

www.nicoyazoom.com/en/hotel-guide/index.html

The least expensive accommodations will be the most rustic or shared.

You will that if you want the 'years ago' feeling, you really have to get off the beaten path and although many places have yet to be discovered and built up, you may want a bit more luxury than the 'years ago feeling'!

Mal Pais is more isolated from stores and many restaurants and the beaches are rock and lava. There are some accommodation choices close to the cross-roads (where the main road drops down to the beach and turns north to Santa Teresa and south to Mal Pais).

Santa Teresa is basically what you make of it. You can be right in the crux of the busy, touristy, night-life part of the area, or you can find a nice quiet place to hang out where you will have to make your own entertainment. The area is very diverse and the choice is yours. The further away you get from the cross-roads area, the quieter and less busy you will find it.

There is another site which has other accommodations listed on a map. The information is very good and the maps for the area are excellent:

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

I find if you use both sites I have mentioned and work through the maps and locations and costs, there will be something that could fit anyone's budget.

Hopefully you can find something that appeals to you.

If you find you need more specific information, please feel free to post more questions!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap stays in Mal Pais and St Teresa

Three reccos for you:

1. Casa Zen

2. Don Jon's

3. Meli Melo

All of them are listed and reviewed here at TA. #1 is "beach-side", while almost no budget accommodation will put you on the beach, this is as close as you're gonna get (about 90 yards up a side street that dead ends at the beach), cheap. All of these are a bit north of the xroads, and therefore a bit more quiet. #1 has both private and shared rooms (the quiet ones are downstairs; upstairs has a vaulted and semi-open ceiling), with shared bathrooms and a shared communal kitchen, a massage table/spa area, daily yoga classes on an upstairs deck, and a day use dining/hangout space, which becomes the restaurant's dining room in the evening, serving a mix of Thai and local dishes. #2 is a combo hostel/hotel/restaurant with several different types of rooms, and a really good basic menu. #3 is new, it used to be a great restaurant, but i haven't stayed in it since the conversion. It also has a shared kitchen and dining area (the former restaurant's kitchen, quite well appointed due to that). They all have wifi. They are all run by nice people. I'm biased towards #1 insofar as I've stayed there every year but they're all good options, and you'll find more if you follow those links from the first responder, and poke around a bit once you get there... but those are the top 3 cheap+close to the beach I'd recommend.

There is an actual Mal Pais surf camp but its situated quite a ways from the beach, down in Playa Carmen and you can get rentals and instruction from many places in Santa Theresa, if that's one of your goals.

If you -really- want to get away from it all and have a stretch of empty beach to yourself, head further north to Hermosa and/or Manzanillo. But those can also be hiked/biked to from Santa Theresa on the beach or on the road, they're 3-5km up. Bike rentals are available in Santa Theresa.

Its a pretty safe area, but don't leave belongings unattended on the beach.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap stays in Mal Pais and St Teresa

I really enjoyed the Mal Pais Surf camp. Something for EVERY budget, good food and lots of fun!

4. Re: Cheap stays in Mal Pais and St Teresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 20, 2012