We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who's the best for the price? Band, Dj, wedding planner?

Which Mal Pais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
portland, or
1 post
Save Topic
Who's the best for the price? Band, Dj, wedding planner?

We are getting married in Mal Pais, Costa Rica in Jan 2011. We are having the ceremony on the beach. A simple ceremony with I do's, flowers, and music. We are having the reception/ dinner at the hotel. Its a small boutique hotel we have rented out. My question is, should we use the wedding planner they recommend, or should we suggest someone else? Do you think they will rip us off, because it is "their wedding planner?" Do you know a good band with a costa rica flavor, tropical music? How about a Dj for late dancing? Plays everything? Or should we just do Ipod Dj to save costs? Please let me know if you have any recommendations for this area. Also do you think you can easily do a ceremony and reception for 40 ppl for less than $10,000? Thank you,

Edited: 1:56 pm, January 20, 2010
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who's the best for the price? Band, Dj, wedding planner?

Good questions...hard to even try to answer them...in my case I have no idea about the hotel or the wedding planner...imposible for me to know if they are overcharging you...since I have no idea what they are offering youª

You can contact: sofia@sofiachinchilla.com

She is a great wedding planner she may have the answers you are looking forª

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISEª

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who's the best for the price? Band, Dj, wedding planner?

I was married in Playa Langosta (Tamarindo area) and we had 40 guests. You can definitely do this for under $10,000 and still have great food, music, flowers, etc. I would recommend using a good wedding planner - I couldn't have done it without mine!

I should note that if you add travel costs, rings, wedding dress, etc., the cost will likely exceed $10,000, but $10,000 for the reception and ceremony is very reasonable.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

Costa Rica
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Who's the best for the price? Band, Dj, wedding planner?

As a wedding planner in Costa Rica (and we have 4 weddings in Mal Pais next month, ranging in size from 13 to 160 guests) I think it's wise to connect with a few wedding planners and see who 'clicks' with you. Definitely hire a wedding planner - I know that sounds self serving but really, it is worth every penny as a planner will not only save you $$ (the mother of one bride hired the band on her own and ended paying double what she should have) but save you a lot of time and stress which is priceless.

Right off the bat, I'll say that Mal Pais is remote and the vendors charge more due to the ferry and bad roads than they do for other areas (it is possible to keep your wedding in budget but depends on what you want and how much the meal/drinks are). You don't get a 'do over' with a wedding so you want to be sure that you have the best vendors working for you (and there are a lot of not so great vendors here). A wedding of 40 people is a fair size for a destination wedding and making sure everyone is on time, thing run smoothly and challenges dealt with (there is always something), is best handled by a pro who knows the terrain. And wouldn't you like to relax and actually enjoy your party?

A planner will help you find the perfect DJ or band as well as the right florist for your vision, etc.

Hope this was helpful and best of luck - it's a beautiful place and I can't think of a more magical spot to marry!

Larissa Banting

weddingscostarica.com

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who's the best for the price? Band, Dj, wedding planner?

Definitely use a wedding planner - it's not always easy to make the necessary arrangements here nor can you necessarily rely on your vendors... A wedding planner will have a group of businesses they have worked with and know to be reliable - which will take a lot of stress away from you.

I think I would shop around for a wedding planner! Larissa, who posted above, has been around for many years and knows what she's doing (and I promise you that I have no affiliation with her. I interviewed with her years ago when I shopped around for wedding planners. I have also seen her work a wedding and was quite impressed).

The wedding planner of your choice can also make musical arrangements for you - and you'll have a much better recommendation than from a bunch of strangers on TA.

5. Re: Who's the best for the price? Band, Dj, wedding planner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 27, 2010