We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in July

Which Mal Pais hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches in July

We will be visting Costa Rica at the beginning of July. We were planning on staying a few nights in Manuel Antonion, but this area sounds so beautiful. Will we have trouble driving here from Manuel Antonio at the beginning of July? Is it worth it for a 3 night stay? We will be a party of 7 with grandparents and children. Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches in July

Great question...weather is changing around the world...and we in Costa Rica are experiencing some changes...since I was a kid...(many moons ago) we have a weather factor that we call it...VERANILLO DE SAN JUAN...(little summer of San Juan).

The veranillo is a stop on the rainy season...is a great time of the year....most of the country is green...but like summer...sun...hot...GREAT!

Hopefully we will have that Veranillo again in 2009...but to try to answer your question...Manuel Antonio is a nice area and of course worth it to stay 3 nights!

I really do not thing you will have any trouble driving to Manuel Antonio...just common sense...observe the speed limits...and enjoy the ride!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches in July

Thanks for your time. We'll plan on keeping the three days in Manuel Antonio. Is a stay in Mal Pais also something that would be worth doing this time of year?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches in July

Mal Pais/Santa Teresa is an area so very opposite to Manuel Antonio. Mal Pais is much quieter and if you are into relaxing, and making your own entertainment, this is the place for you. It is popular for surfers and people who want to get off the beaten track. We have beautiful beaches, swim-able water without fear of strong tide rips, horse-back rides, a zip-line, monkeys in our yards (as well as many other animals), a park near by (Cabo Blanco) and accommodations and restaurants for every budget of traveller.

Manuel Antonio is much closer and more accessible to San Jose, is much more touristy, and more expensive than Mal Pais.

You have to ask yourself what you want out of your Costa Rica vacation. Do you want to see diversity? Do you want more entertainment? Do you want to experience rough, dirt roads? (the dirt road from Cobano to Mal Pais is approximately 14K. and the road is also washboard, rough, dirt road when you get down to the beach). Is this worth it for you and your family?

You might be happier spending some time in Manuel Antonio and some time in Arenal or Monteverde. Have you read any of the trip reports posted by people who have vacationed there and get some idea as to what they did, how long their vacation time was and if the same would appeal to you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
396 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches in July

Without finishing our research and questions, our tentative schedule is flying into and out of Liberia. 3 nights Arenal, 2 nights Monteverde, 3 nights Manuel Antonio, 3 nights Mal Pais area, 3 nights Papagaya area (exact place there TBD). One of our concerns was the ability to safely get to the Mal Pais area at the beginning of July. My parents are definately the isolated beach kind of people. I like both kinds of beaches for different reasons. However, I'm not a super busy beach person. If you have any comments or suggestions about our tentative itinerary, I'd love to hear them. We're still trying to decide what to do, but wanted to come up with a basic plan so we could look at places to stay, etc. Thanks for all your help!

5. Re: Beaches in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:27 pm, October 23, 2009