We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropico Latino

Jersey, England.
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tropico Latino

Hi, I've posted a while ago,

we are getting married in February 2008 and have now booked the Tropico Latino..... but i'm so worried now as its had really bad reviews lately.

We are only staying there three nights and teh rest of the three wk trip we will jsu sort out when we get there maybe the Tranquilo backpacker..But you know you only get married once...well most people... and i just want it to be a little special...We have already paid a large deposit with really less than one night still to pay for....I feel that we would not get anything back now if anything went wrong....

I'm putting my faith in them that they will turn out good for us.

Anybody have any thoughts!!!

Thanks Sevy

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
319 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropico Latino

Hi Sevy!

I empathize with your worries! We were going to stay at TL during or upcoming trip in June but decided against it after reading recent reviews. We are going to CR to scope out a place for our '08 wedding and TL was one of the contenders. I will post a trip report upon my return and let you know the condition of TL. Again, we won't be staying there but we are going to check it out. Many people love TL, it just seems as though they maybe went through some bad employees??? Who knows.

I can tell you that we had sent a check deposit to them but placed a stop payment on it after we read the reviews. The owner of TL contacted me when he tried to deposit the check and I explained why I canceled. He was very, very nice and encouraged us to come and check out the property. Point being, if you decide to change your mind, he sounds like a logical man and you may get your deposit back!

Jersey, England.
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropico Latino

Thanks for the reply,

It will be good to know what you make of the place!!

I guess some people will expect so much because they are used to having a certain standard so everybodys opinions could be very different, we just want somewhere nice to hang out and spend a few nights of our honeymoon.....We surf so we will be in an ideal place for it, and i'm figuring that where ever we go the food is going to be lovely!!

Keep me informed!

Hope you have a fantastic trip and enjoy CR..

Take Care Sevy

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropico Latino

I was there last week. The grounds looked beautiful, the food was excellent, and although we didn't stay there, I surfed the break directly front of the hotel on mutliple occasions.

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropico Latino

Has anyone stayed at Tropico Latino recently?

The reviews are so wildly different, it's hard to know what to think. We have two nights booked for February 2008 and this is the only hotel that I'm not all that confident about.

Austin, TX
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropico Latino

Stayed here for half of our trip and really enjoyed it. Was right on the beach (#8). The only downside was the restaurant. It was good, but way too expensive. I would recommend taking a short walk to get meals. The Israeli place across the street is cheap and delicious. The chicken place to the south is also great. I'd also grab some beverages to keep in the fridge because the beers/etc are also overpriced.

Overall, I'd recommend it.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropico Latino

I think you are dead on when you say that people have different expectation. Bad reviews often are because people have higher standards than others. I have heard so many people go to Costa Rica and complain about things that I would never expect when visiting there but I am a simpler person and don't need as much to be happy. Life is simpler there and slower paced and some Americans can't adjust to that very well.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropico Latino

We stayed there 5 nights in February and were happy overall with our choice. The beach is beautiful, rooms were large but fairly basic, and the restaurant was overpriced - but that was easily solved by exploring the many other restaurants up and down the road, or buying drinks/snacks from the store across the street. It was nice to have the pool to dip in and cool off, close to a great hammock / chairs area under the palms next to the beach. Also, my wife really enjoyed the massage (reasonably priced and very relaxing). We found it was helpful to have a rental car to explore the area, as well as get to things that were a bit of a long, dusty walk on the road. We saw a couple from England having a wedding at the TL when we were there, and they (and their 8 guests appeared to have a wonderful time. I'm sure you'll be the same, especially if you're easy-going and just take things as they come.

8. Re: Tropico Latino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 04, 2009