We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved Los Suenos, Hated Jaco

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Topic
Loved Los Suenos, Hated Jaco

Went to Costa Rica and loved it! Stayed at the Volcano, Quepos and Los Suenos. The only thing we weren't expecting when we went to Jaco for dinner (the closest town to the Marriott) was how unsafe it was. We were travelling with our whole family that included 2 little children 3 and 6 and as soon as we pulled up to the Wishbone Cafe an drunk guy was lying on the ground in front and 2 friends trying to pull him along (at 5:00 p..m) When we went into the restaurant there were dogs hanging around that we assumed belonged to the owners. After dinner my 3 year old daughter got down to go sit on her Grandmas lap and out of nowhere this dog attacked her biting her on the hand. She screamed of course and it was very upsetting. No one in the place came over to see if she was Ok and then later on they said the dog was just a stray. When we were leaving we went outside to the car holding the children when the dog came out from the bushes outside and attacked another dog with a collar walking down the street. The other dog yelped when he was bit and promptly one of the servers came out and yelled at us for kicking the dog! We were shocked and just wanted to get out of there!

We went back to the Marriott Los Suenos where we got our daughter good medical care by a doctor. The staff there was very helpful and kind.

Just a tip to stay out of Jaco. I just didn't feel it was very safe. We were all over Costa Rica and had great experiences exept for Jaco.

Annapolis Md
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved Los Suenos, Hated Jaco

Wow! What an experience. I hope your daughter is all right. That is not something any one wants to experience on their trip out of the country. Thanks for the info!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved Los Suenos, Hated Jaco

I am so sorry for your daughter and your family, I hope your daughter is doing well. I wanted to pass along what were told by the travel clinic doctor in our area - we were told that if our children were bitten or scratched by a mammal in CR that we needed to have them IMMEDIATELY EVALUATED FOR A RABIES INFECTION by a doctor in the United States (they told us to get the first plane home). If you haven't already visited your local physician for a follow up, it would be a good idea to do so. Glad you enjoyed the other parts of your trip, CR is a wonderful place to visit. Best wishes to your daughter for a full recovery.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,200 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved Los Suenos, Hated Jaco

Incredible...is the only word!!! I am so ashamed about it!!

I can not beleive it...any way...in Costa Rica we do not have cases of rabies in 2007 tha I know!! ...of course is the best if the doctor decided the inyection to prevent rabies...but that is a whole treatment is not only one shot...and only when is a proff that the animal was infected with rabies!!

About taking the first plane home!! I do not know about that !!

I can not see all my people flying to USA...because a dog bited them!! We have excellent hospitals and Drs.

I hope everything is ok by now!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

100% costarican and proud of it!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved Los Suenos, Hated Jaco

Road Advisor - I'm sure you have great docs there . . . we loved your country! I was only passing along what we were told, just in case, you can never be too careful with little kids. I think it may be more a case of getting the child home to their own doctor and medical records rather than away from CR. I've learned so much from your past posts, lucky you to live in such a beautiful place - thanks for all your efforts on this forum!

5. Re: Loved Los Suenos, Hated Jaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 03, 2009