We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Costa Rica !

Dallas, TX
2 posts
Save Topic
First time to Costa Rica !

Planning a trip in May, three college buddies, we're older now, thinking 2 nights San Jose, 2 nights Los Suenos Marriott, will do the tourist stuff, any guys out there who made a similar trip with suggestions ?

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Costa Rica !

Try Key Largo for after dinner drinks. The restaurant in the same building isn't bad. Be careful!

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Costa Rica !

I would stay downtown in Barrio Amon. The Clarion Amon Plaza is pleasant and reasonably priced. You can walk almost everywhere including the to Jade and Gold Museums.

for Dinner Cafe Mundo is a fun place. Also worth a try is Tin Jo, a Pan Asian Restaurant and Don Wang for Dim Sum.

For breakfast the sidewalk terrace at the Grand Hotel de Costa Rica is fun and a good strange people watching place. You are also next to the National Theatre which is worth seeing. It has a small attractive cafe which is worth a coffee.

Most things are within walking distance. Be careful of the transvestites. They tease and cajole men passing by. Sometimes they will even try to touch you. Watch your wallet, stay calm and try not to engage them. They can be quite rough.

Otherwise you should have a good time.

There are other places to stay outside of downtown. I however find them to be inconvenient when I have things to do downtown.

Let me know more specifically what you interest are and I will try and help with further suggestions.

Dallas, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Costa Rica !

Have you been to Jaco Beach area, do you know much about the Los Suenos Marriott, any suggestions, the beaches dont look that great from the pictures I've seen, are they worth going to ?

Thanks for the heads up on San Jose, I'll watch out for the trannies !

constantly moving
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Costa Rica !

I have been to Jaco. I did not like Jaco. I however do not like any of the beaches in that area. It doesn't sound like you have enough time to go elsewhere.

What else are you interested in?

5. Re: First time to Costa Rica !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 29, 2009