We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Which Jaco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

My fiancee and I are in the initial wedding planning stages. We are leaning towards Villa Caletas to host the reception, however, we were hoping to have a traditional Catholic ceremony at a local church.

Any suggestions? experiences?

On the road
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Hey,

Congrats on the occasion.

As for a local church in Jaco, there is a nice one towards the south end of town by the soccer field and municipal building. I dont know the name or contact info - maybe someone else does?

I maybe heading to Jaco this weekend and will get some info (name and phone) if I can.

Ishmael

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Of all the places to get married in Costa Rica, Jaco would be towards the bottom of the list

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Villas Caletas would be near the top!

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Villas Caletas would be near the top!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

I saw someone else's wedding at Villa Caletas and let's just say that the ceremony in the amphitheater overlooking the sea was one of the most spectacular I've never been invited to! Truly wow.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Sean, where other than Jaco, would you suggest? And what specifically about Jaco do you not like?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

I don't like Jaco for it's drugs, prostitution, crime, dirty streets and beaches, poser suffer types and Americans jabbering about the mediocre waves, etc.

Jaco is known as the Tijuana of Costa Rica

Get married on the beach in Carillo, Mal Pais, or Montezuma rather than Jaco

quepos, costa rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

IM one of the few gringos that ive heard of that has gotten married in The Church here. To do so you will need permission from the priest, marriage classes , all your paper work in order. Do some more research and call the church , I could be wrong but I still think that it would be very difficult, it was for me and worth every second spent. fishingjohn

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Thanks John. We pretty much have all the paperwork lined up already. We had originally planned to have the ceremony in El Salvador, which requires much the same paperwork. We're actually already married, but want to have the "official" ceremony down there.

Where is the church in relation to some of the larger hotels (i.e., Marriott, Best Western, Punta Leona, Villa Caletas). Did your guests like any hotel in particular? Would you be able to send any photos of the church?

Thanks for your help!

On the road
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catholic wedding ceremony, Jaco, Costa Rica

Dont mind Sean420 - he is a "glass half empty" kind of guy when it comes to Jaco.

The other posters are right on the mark and while Jaco is one of the more developed beaches in CR, I would still say that it is beautiful and that your guest should have a great time as it is close to many activites/ Manuel Antonio National Park / Hermosa Beach etc. Plus it is very easy to get to from San Jose - 2.5 hours on one of the better roads in the country or a very quick flight to the area.