We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Jaco

California City...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Easter in Jaco

We will be in the Jaco area for Easter. Are there any traditional holiday events taking place?

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Jaco

Don't underestimate how completely Costa Rica shuts down for Holy Week, the week preceding Easter.

Costa Rica cities become ghost towns. San Jose, the capital, turns beguilingly peaceful, and have many religious processions.

Many Costa Rica businesses close the entire week, so plan ahead; little opens on Thursday or Friday.

Tourists, local and international, flock to the beaches. Jaco is the closest beach from San Jose, and will be packed with locals and tourists. Make reservations now, months in advance if you plan to be in Jaco or surrounding areas. During Easter week expect inflated room rates.

Be forewarned Holy Thursday and Good Friday are, by law, dry days. Bars and liquor stores must close, and no one, including restaurants or your Costa Rica hotel dining room, is permitted to sell alcohol.

This year Costa Rica's Semana Santa is March 28 - April 4

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Jaco

Hey Nuthin--

We will be at the Marriott at Easter. A couple of questions- where might we go to avoid the throngs during these couple of days? Following up on previous post, are there any traditonal Semana Santa processions within our area? Where would you suggest one eat Easter dinner? Will places open back up the day AFTER Easter? We want to go to Manuel Antonio. Thanks for your help, Sherry

Fort Erie, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Jaco

Hi Sherry,

I am a Jaco veteran of 18 years. If you are staying at the Marriott out a Los Suenos over easter I strongly recommend that you just stay put and enjoy the beautiful facilities. It is hell in this town during Samana Santa and I am not kidding. The roads are very busy as well as the town. If you do venture out be prepared.

Manuel Antonio is beautiful. You can take a bus from the terminal across from the best Western hotel for under $3.00 or you can take a Grayline tour. Their desk is in the Best Western hotel. They probably can arrange it for you from your concierge desk at Los Suenos.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your visit to Costa Rica!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Jaco

A lot of people around Jaco around Easter... A LOT...nice I do not know...but some people like a lot of people...in my case way to many people during that time...but as always is nice!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Jaco

Jaco will be a cluster duck (Family friendly enough? hehehehe)

Nuthin_to_lose pretty much hit the nail on the head, good advice. Buy your liquor ahead of time for the dry days if you are a drinker, stay put at your hotel, the town will be nuts, traffic jams in a one main road town are a drag.

Even Herudura beach where the Marriott is will be packed with locals. Manuel Antonio day trip is a good idea, I second that one.

You can try and hit Playa Blanca right up the road North from your hotel. Nicest swimming beach in the area by far, and off the Jaco crowd radar for the most part. It will be busy still, but with a different vibe than Jaco Beach.

Cheers and good luck

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Jaco

Hi-

I booked our airfare last August without checking the calendar! I din't realize it was Easter until it was too late. Will Manuel Antonio be open any time during the week before Easter? Should we wait until Easter Monday to go there? We have our own vehicle. I am a little crazy over this whole thing as we love solitude!! Any suggestions of where we could go Good Friday, Saturday to interact with less people would be appreciated. I hate to think of being stuck at the hotel for 3 whole days. Will driving on these days be a nightmare? How about in the country? HELP! Sherry

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter in Jaco

Oh, so sorry! But MA Park is closed on Monday and even if it were open, it would be crazy busy, as will everthing else! But now that you know, just accept and enjoy it as best you can, because there is nothing you can do about it!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter in Jaco

Hi-

Will MA park be open on the Tuesaday following Easter? It is our last day in CR! What, if anything, do you think we can do Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday? Is there anywhere we can drive to (away from the beach) where there will be less crowds? We will spend the earlier part of our vacation in Arenal and Monteverde. Thanks for your help, Sherry

nebraska
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter in Jaco

Nuthin,

Easter is on Apr. 8 this year. Am I understanding that Semana Santa will be "over" on Wed. Apr 4? (You mentiioned it was Mar. 28-Apr. 4 Wed. to Wed.) Are the Dry days Maundy Thursay & Good Friday the 4th & 5th?

So in effect Seman Santa will last from Mar. 28-Apr8?

Thanks for your help.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter in Jaco

Semana Santa actually is from the 31st (when people from the Central Valley will begin flocking to the beaches) until Easter Sunday (the 8th, when they return). The most intense traffic at the beaches is from mid-Wed (4th) until the 8th. Yes, the dry days are Thursday and Friday (5th and 6th respectively). Lisa

Get answers to your questions about Jaco