We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best June beach vacation - Help!!

phoenix
Level Contributor
40 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Best June beach vacation - Help!!

My wife and I have been trying to plan a vacation now for weeks but can't seem to reach a conclusion so I am looking for recommendations. What we are looking for:

- great beaches and nice weather (low risk for rain)

- breezy, not muggy

- a place where we can see some local sights

- a place that allows topless sunbathing

- a place where the dollar still has some value

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

Steve and Lori:

Costa Rica is loaded with great beaches, depends on how remote you want to be, do you want to swim, sun, surf, snorkel????

June is getting into the rainy season on the Pacific (west) coast. It might rain in the morning, or the afternoon, or at night. Maybe the east coast is better in June? Hatch or Colin if you are reading this, you might put in a plug for Puerto Viejo.

What do you mean by 'local sights'? Animals? People? Architecture? Museums? Jungle? Trees? Flowers? There are a lot of local sights, often you just have to step out onto the street and go for a walk.

Costa Ricans generally frown on public nudity....some tourists just don't care to respect the fact and do what they want, they don't get arrested, but they are not favorable (except with the younger Ticos with raging hormones that feel like it is an invitation....). There are no nude beaches per se unless you find you are in a fairly isolated area and decide to doff the clothes. Bring good sunscreen!!

Like everywhere else, fuel, cost of living, food etc. has gone up in price. The US $ fluctuates...depending on what you are willing to spend, you can find some good deals. If you are looking for good hamburgers and steaks and 5 star accommodation, you will be spending money. If you are happy with rice and beans and average accommodation, you can still find value.

If you pick up a guide book on Costa Rica, you can narrow your search and calculate an average cost.

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

Costa Rica is a great place to visit but it doesn't fit your wants

June is rainy season

Costa Rica is humid, tropical location

topless sunbathing is not recommended or appreciated by ticos

it is still not that expensive by US standards but dollar won't go as far as it used to

for topless sunbathing you might want to go to europe but the dollar is bad

for low risk of rain and nice beach in June go to Hawaii

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

Indeed June is rainy season, but the weather in CR is nice anyway. We went there in the rainy season and it was OK. You will have few good hours per day at the beach anyway and the temperatures are in mid 80s, so it is not muggy or hot-hot. The highlands are a little bit more dry than the lowlands, so pick something up north and avoid the Caribbean side since that is the rainiest of all. Look into Guanacaste area and Nicoya Peninsula (Playa Grande and the area around it, so you are up North). As far as I know, topless is illegal in CR.

Depending on how long you will be staying there, I would consider a mix: beach for 2-3 days and volcanoes for another few days. What airport are you going to and what is the length of your vacation? Since you are going in the low season, your dollar will have more value than in the high season.

phoenix
Level Contributor
40 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

Thanks for all your help. Looks like I should keep on looking. If there is a central American or south American destination that would fit the profile a bit better, please let me know. We have been to Hawaii many times and while that offers the ideal weather, we were just looking for something different and friends recommended central America.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

As far as I know, the rainy season is the same in all Central America. If you don't like the idea of having some rain during your vacation, then plan your trip during the dry season. As I said, we did not mind the rain at all. We planned our days around it (it is pretty predictable, after a day or two you will have an idea when the rain will start) and we ate lunch during that time. We will be going back in July again.

Tampa,Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

Steve and Lori;

You might want to try Spain...the Mediterranean side.Everything you are looking for;(EXCEPT DOLLAR VALUE), you'll find in Figueres,Girona, Cadaques etc..These towns are about 2 hours north of Barcelona...or try The Virgin Islands ( Tortola,St Croix,St. Thomas)

Good luck in your venture;

Maryann

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

Yep, CR doesn't sound like a fit for you on this trip. Jamaica is still pretty cheap, and Negril meets most of what you want.

8. Re: Best June beach vacation - Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 28, 2009