We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Road Conditions Traveling South

Which Golfito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
General Road Conditions Traveling South

My husband and I are making a return trip to CR in January-February and are planning on primarily focusing on the southern end. Anyone familiar with the general road conditions from San Jose to San Isidro, San Isidro to Domenical, and Domenical south to the Panamanian border?

6 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Road Conditions Traveling South

As far as today...some short delays...I´ll bet that by the end of Jan and Feb every thing is going to be back to normal...nice time of year to drive around...in a clear day from the top of Cerro de la Muerte you could possible see Turrialba Volcano going crazy...I had the oppoertunity a fey days ago it was amizing!

roadadvisor

Seattle
Level Contributor
3 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Road Conditions Traveling South

Thanks for your reply. We realize that things change due to weather, but it's good to know roads are intact after a very wet season. Any recommendations about where to eat lunch in San Isidro?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Road Conditions Traveling South

Many good sodas in San Isidro...hard to even tgry to mention one...sorry!

roadadvsior

Panama
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General Road Conditions Traveling South

From San Jose, you are best to head to the Pacific coast and south through Jaco, Quepos, Dominical and then to Frontera, the border. The road from Quepos to Dominical, once one of the worst in Costa Rica, is now new pavement and excellent. Far better than the mountain route.

Panama
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: General Road Conditions Traveling South

From San Jose, you are best to head to the Pacific coast and south through Jaco, Quepos, Dominical and then to Frontera, the border. The road from Quepos to Dominical, once one of the worst in Costa Rica, is now new pavement and excellent. Far better than the mountain route.

Perez Zeledon costa...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: General Road Conditions Traveling South

The road condition in Costa Rica generally are bad, but the road to SJ to Perez Zeledon (San Isidro) are well, also the road to San Isidro to Dominical. If you have interest for Southern Costa Rica city info, place for stay, eat, bus schedule and more, this site can help you.

http://www.southerncostarica.biz/

Reply to: General Road Conditions Traveling South
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Golfito