We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hospitals/medical clinics in the Jaco and Quepos areas?

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hospitals/medical clinics in the Jaco and Quepos areas?

Hi all - hoping for some excellent advice once again:

Heading down for a 10-day trip in December with our 16 month old and would feel better knowing if and where the best medical clinics / hospitals are in the Jaco and Quepos areas (we'll be splitting time between the two) in case we have any unexpected issues with the baby.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hospitals/medical clinics in the Jaco and Quepos areas?

Hi Matt,

I can only speak to the medical care in the Quepos MA area.

On our last trip, my husband became quite seriously ill while we were in Manuel Antonio. There is an English speaking doctor with an office on the MA road. However, past the fact that he speaks English, our experience with him was VERY negative. He completely misdiagnosed my husband and made things even worse as he told him he should just sit in the office and wait for the medication he had incorrectly prescribed to kick in. All this time, my husband was telling him he thinks he should go to the hospital right away while the doctor told him - no you're fine!!!! He seemed quite cocky and know it all.

Finally as my husband continued to get worse and worse, and kept telling the doctor he better head to the hospital ASAP, he finally called a cab for us and advised the hospital we were coming. It was about a 15 minute ride.

next stop - Quepos Hospital. It turned out my husband had been right. I can't say anything bad about the Quepos hospital. We received immediate and excellent attention. However, if you don't speak Spanish, it would be a challenge. (My Spanish was good enough at least to understand and get things across) And its pretty basic.

But they know their limitation there and the doctor "on the case" decided my husband should be sent to San Jose as soon as possible. An air ambulance would have taken about 20 minutes. However, since it was raining and getting late in the afternoon, (they don't fly once it gets close to sunset because there are no light at the quepos airstip) we ended up in a 3 hour ambulance ride. And since we had to wait more than three hours for the ambulance and doctor to be dispatched from San Jose, it was quite a gruelling experience. In the end fortunately all turned out OK - but not without complications along the way.

If anything major happens, I would recommend you head immediately to the San Jose area.

In the San Jose/Escazu area there are excellent doctors (and dentists etc.) Many speak English and are even US trained. And some very good hospitals. (our experiences are with CIMA - but I hear that Clina Biblica and Catolica are good) I am not putting down the public hospitals - but I hear they can be crowded and a bit chaotic...

Anyway, I am not trying to scare you. We have been going to CR several times a year for the last 15 years and this is the first time we ever had any medical issues and they were not specifically related at all to the fact that we were in CR. I just wanted to share our recent experience since you did ask.

Good luck.

Pura Vida,

raquel

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hospitals/medical clinics in the Jaco and Quepos areas?

Thanks for the reply. So - there is a (small) hospital (or clinic) right there in Quepos?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hospitals/medical clinics in the Jaco and Quepos areas?

The hospital is about 10 or fifteen minutes from the town of Quepos - sort of in the middle of nowhere - but an easy cab ride. Its in the opposite direction from Manuel Antonio - so it would take a few minutes longer from there.

The doctor's office/clinic (the one we personally had the bad experience with) is on the Quepos MA road - about half way. Its fairly close to places like Si Como No. There is probably a doctor's office in the town of Quepos.

Pura Vida,

raquel

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hospitals/medical clinics in the Jaco and Quepos areas?

Thanks for that info!

Anyone else have a tip on the same topic for the Jaco area?

5. Re: Hospitals/medical clinics in the Jaco and Quepos areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 13, 2009