We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

washington, dc
1 post
Save Topic
Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

I have been trying to find the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to go from Arenal to Tortuguero in one day. I found a shuttle from Arenal to Limon, from where we would take a boat up to Tortuguero (does any one know how long the boat ride is?). But I was wondering if there is another way to go. I know if coming from San Jose you can go to Cano Blanco Marina or La Geest Casa Verde by 2 buses, both of which would be a shorter boat ride.

Thanks for your help

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

in puerto viejo , ride the boat down the Sarapiqui river to the San Juan , down to Barra del colorado , then tortuguero , this is another way , and in my opion a great trip

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

Hi there,

Can you let me know what shuttle you found. I have the same issue...

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

I do not know of a shuttle , take a cab to Puerto viejo , or , leave your rental car in a safe parking lot in P. Viejo , I have done this more than 100 times , and the tourist really loved it .

Northern California
Level Contributor
374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

I'm going to Tortuguero in February, to Casa Marabella B&B (reviews on this site). Their website has a link called "how to get here" with several complicated ways to get there. I'll be coming from Puerto Viejo de Sarapaqui (not the Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean) and am relying on that B&B's owner to help me get to La Pavona, which is option #5.

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

if you ar comming fro puerto viejo , hope on a boat and enjoy a GREAT ride down the rio san juan , take lots of pictures ¡ its that easy ¡

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

Thanks everyone. This is helpful to me too!

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

Dos Brazos, The boat trips to Tortuguero via the Sarapiqui had been stopped because the Nicaraguan gov did not want Costa Ricans using their river (San Juan). Are they allowing this again? It is a nice trip. We went up to Rio Indio Lodge in Nicaragua that way.

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

from what I know , the route has always been open , the tourist , have to stop half way down the San Juan on the Nica side and pay acouple of bucks ,

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Arenal to Tortuguero

from what I know , the route has always been open , the tourist , have to stop half way down the San Juan on the Nica side and pay acouple of bucks , and show your passports