We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

Hi we are in Montezuma now, and we're thinking about going to Tortuguero. I've read that the last boat from Caliari leaves at 3pm to Tortuguero. The question is if it's possible to get to Caliari in time to save a day with travel. I've tried to search different shuttle companies, but can't seem to find a way.Maybe there are solutions we might not have thought about?

alex&eli

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

It's quite a jaunt from Montezuma to Tortuguero - count on a whole day's travel.

Probably the most convenient way would be to head for San Jose, having arranged a "package" ahead of time that includes transportation. Check here: www.tortuguero.com

If you want independent travel, your choices are somewhat limited.

www.tortuguerovillage.com for information on that

The easiest is to fly to San Jose and take a flight to Tortuguero.

Next, take a shuttle or public bus to La Fortuna and shuttle from there to the landing at Pavona. I know that Pura Vida Tours has a shuttle from La Fortuna to the boat landing.

More inconvenient but cheapest is to take the public bus from Puntarenas to Tilaran and then to La Fortuna. From La Fortuna, you can take the bus or shuttle to the landing. If you are taking the bus, you may have to change in Guapiles and Cariari. Check here: www.thebusschedule.com

You could take a combo: take the public bus to Alajuela, fly to Tortuguero or take the public bus to San Jose and either a shuttle or public bus to Cariari and another bus to Pavona.

You will need to check all the times to see what might fit with your schedule and your budget.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

Thanks for fast reply! The bus schedule was really helpful. It seems we can make it to La Geest de Casa Verde to catch the last boat (15:30) to Tortuguero if we catch a ferry from Paquera at 6am - then bus to San Jose - Guapiles - Cariari. Seems like a bit of a hazzle geting to Paquera at 6am, and the following busses must arrive on schedule to make the connections. I think we must rethink the rest of our stay and consider other options :)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

Well, it's not an easy thing to do in one day with no direct route.

You might just go kind of half way and stay in the Sarapiqui area - Selva Verde or El Gavilan are two great places and pretty wild and next to the river.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

Agree with Hattie that route makes for a long day, especially if your relying on ground transport for budget reasons. I did that route earlier this year but opposite, from Tort to Montezuma, and flew. I was in Montezuma by 1:00pm or so not too bad in that case.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,665 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

Long day and with connecting buses...you never know...

Maybe you can try to get to Siquirres ...spend the night there...then to Cano Blanco next day and take a boat to Tortuguero...many boats leaving almost all day long!

roadadvisor

6. Re: Travel from Montezuma to Tortuguero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, May 16, 2011