We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference in boat trips from lodges

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belgium
Level Contributor
45 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Difference in boat trips from lodges

We're trying to compare the different lodges in Tortuguero. Tortuga lodge & gardens it's price is by far the most expensive one. They motivate their price by the fact they run "intimate" boat trips with a maximum of 16 passengers whilst other lodges have boats with up to 50 people.

Is this true and is this worth the price difference? Will you see more wildlife?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

www.costaricaexpeditions.com Tortuga Lodge is best stick with them

unless you are a budget traveler...Mawamba Lodge for budget

but boat trips can be more crowded...

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

Also check here -- www.tortuguerovillage.com

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

We loved Tortuga Lodge. When we were there, we were the only ones on the boat trips. The food in their restaurant was some of the best we've had in Costa Rica.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

I also recommend Turtle Beach Lodge, they too have great service and small boat tours, lower price but they dont' have the flight back like Tortuga. Both lodges are great!

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

As any transportation company...the price goes by number of passengers in your vehicle....more people most of the time less money...less passengers more expensive...

Transportation to Taortuguero lodges or tours is based on bookings...they can guarantee less people at a higher price...that simple!

I go very often to Cano Blanco and honestly I see that most of the boats from most of the lodges are very full all the time...of course you can request a private transfers...but that is going to cost you a lot more money...or just take the chance that only you and your family are going to be the only ones on the boat!

Without being sarcatic, I do not thing price will make the difference to see wild life...you can see wild life from a native canoe or a fiberglass speed boat!

If I want a GOURMET meal thte last place I will think to go will be Tortuguero...most of the lodges offer about the same quality of food ...maybe one with a candle or two...but a fish is a fish and a salad is a salad!

roadadvisor from Costa Rica AND of course in Costa Rica!"

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

Turtle Beach Lodge is great as mentioned above. I also highly recommend Fran and Modesto of Riverboat Francesca. Their boats hold only 12 and might not even be full. They've guided there for over 20 years. Mostly they work with Laguna Lodge which is a pretty decent place to stay. One thing I love about Turtle Beach is you can hop in the kayaks right into the canals and go spotting on your own. Not all lodges offer this and/or are on the river instead of the canals.

Edited: 5:23 pm, August 14, 2010
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

Thank you Travelicious...now I recall talking some time ago with Frank and Modesto...nice humble people...and very hard workers...good boats by the way!

roadadvisor

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

The boats from Cano Blanco are the boats for transfer, which are different from the boats you take with your guide.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

Tortuga Lodge was fantastic for us, and well worth what I recall was very little price difference. Our wildlife tours had only 6 people on the boat and I saw other boats loaded down with people. Also the food and service was a little above what my perception of the other lodges is like. With private tables, great wait staff etc. Our drive in was in a small tourist van with just 6 passengers as well instead of a large vehicle. The flight out was terrific from the airstrip just across the water and a small private plane. Loved everythng about it...

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difference in boat trips from lodges

We stay at the Manatus Hotel. To the best of our knowledge only one with real air conditioning in the room. Great after a hot sweaty tour into the park, or hike. Also, during the green season (meaning Sept. Oct.) the hotel sometimes is almost empty and the boats only have 2 or 3 couples. We were there in Oct. 2009 and most recently May 2010. In May, some days my wife and I were the only ones in the boat, while other lodge boats we passed were packed to the gills. You will pay about $320 per night but, you will dine from a menu at a private table and be given a level of personal attention I don't believe can be matched anyplace else in the area. You can boat in and out or fly in or out, or boat in and fly out or vice versa. We've done both and are headed back to the Manatus Hotel, in two weeks; third time in the last 12 months. Also look for our reports from Oct. 2009 and May 2010 on trip advisor. Enjoy your trip no matter where you decide to stay. For us, the Manatus can't be beat.