We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Tortuguero

Calgary
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
San Jose to Tortuguero

I am writing this post to make people aware that when they are traveling by public transport from San Jose to Tortuguero that there is no need to pre buy the boat portion of the trip. I make this trip weekly and I see people getting overcharged on every trip. Most tourists are approached while they are on the bus (if not before) while they are waiting to depart San Jose. They are sold a ticket for the bus portion from Cariairi to Pavona and the boat from Pavona to Tortuguero for $7:00 per person. The fare is C1000.00 for the bus and C1600.00 for the boat. Round off the exchange and it is more than a $2:00 saving per person.

As well when in Cariairi you no longer have to change bus depots to get the best fare. You can stay at the depot that you arrive at (referred to as new depot) and board the local bus to Pavona on the street in front of the bus station. Just pay the driver the C1000.00 The bus then goes to the old station and loads the rest of passengers. As this bus is usually full it is great to get first pick of the seats. Not all the rows have the same leg room so check them out and get the best seats you can. As well this bus now departs at 11:30 at the old depot instead of 12:00. You don’t have much of a wait from the San Jose 9:00 bus.

When you get to Pavona you have your choice of boat companies. It is not for me to say which is better. If you have a fair amount of baggage then you should let the locals “help” and they will carry your bags just to get you on the one company’s boat. I assume they get a commission from the boat company but they sure won’t refuse a tip as well. If you carry your own bags you can board either company’s boats. I usually see which boat has the lightest load and take it. Just remember the fare is C1600.00

Just remember to pay as you go and you will get the best fare and have the best options. Enjoy the trip.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

thanks for posting good info...

A nice place
Level Contributor
935 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

Thanks for the information altahobo!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

Thank you good to know...that is a real good advice.!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

Thanks, lots of good stuff!

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

Very good info! Why don't you post it in the Insiders Article information so its available to everyone any time??? You could title it "Public transportation to Tortuguero" or something like that. Its the kind of information independent travelers are looking for.

Muchas gracias

Mentioned in this post
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

hello,

im still debating wither to include tortuguero on my trip this jan. I have 3 nights to spare. I will be in la fortuna-----i looked at the bus schedule online from la fortuna to tortuguero stop, and the rout took like 2 days and looked trecherous, with nearly 7 bus transfers with up to 4 hour delays between busses! Is this the only cheap way to get there from la fortuna? Also does it take a whole day to get from tortuguero to alajuela? We would be going from tortuguero to alajuela, staying a night, then flying out early in the morning. Im confused as to how many busses are in between and when there is a boat to take?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

If you wanted to fly out of Tortuguero, you could. Check airfares on Sansa or Nature Air; they're usually pretty cheap, and it's a quick flight.

Mentioned in this post
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

Interbus $39, 3.5 hrs Fortuna to Siquirres, for connecting boats to Tortuguero.

Mentioned in this post
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

Does 3.5 hours include the boat journey?

10. Re: San Jose to Tortuguero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 25, 2010