We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Torrance, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for which airline is better for a flight from Tortuguero to San Jose? Nature Air is about $30 cheaper per ticket and I wonder why? Also, we are travelling early May - is it wise to book a flight during this time (beginning of green season).

Thank you!

Katie

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

The two airlines are about the same, but we usually fly Sansa because it's located right next to the SJO airport, so it's more convenient for us.

Nature Air offers double engine planes vs. single engine for Sansa if that makes a difference to you. We just flew Sansa from Tortuguero to SJO a couple of weeks ago. You will laugh when you see the "airport" in Tortuguero - just a little open air building, but the big news is they are getting a bathroom.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

I usually go with whichever one is more convenient to my next leg. As volcanogirl mentioned, Sansa is next to SJO (I walk over 2 blocks) so if you're connecting it's handy. They both leave from the same airstrip in Tortuguero, at about the same time, so other than that I'd go with what's cheapest. As far as green season, you just have to go with it and the flight is early morning which is the best time.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

I prefer Sansa because of the San Jose location. Nature Air does have bigger windows.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,253 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

Sansa is the domestic division for TACA Airlines...they plan and budget the airline as any Airline...in theory they do have a lot better software for almost anything...better offices in and around Costa Rica...better equipment...they charge a little more...but they have TACA as a partner....

Also SANSA is located by the Juan Santamaria International Airport. Nature Air in PAVAS!

Nature Air...is run and operate by a family...maybe that answer your question...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

www.natureair.com

my fav bigger planes 2 engines better safety record.

www.flysansa.com

smaller singles...

only if a tight connection at SJO.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

I fly with SANSA because of convenience.

If you follow the ticket prices of these two competitors, you will find prices change all the time. One offers a great deal for flights to a number of destinations for a few weeks, then the other has some great deals. If you are not traveling until next May, I would not be in a hurry to book a flight with them right now. Keep an eye on each of them and then book your flight before you come down, but don't wait till the last minute...and make sure all your flights and travel time etc don't conflict.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

Also keep in mind that often the price difference between Sansa and Nature Air is your cost of a taxi to Pavas, where Nature Air is located. So often the prices are a wash between the two. I'd go with which ever ones fits your schedule best and is less out of the way to your next destination.

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

Hi there! Both Sansa and Natureair depart at almost the same time from Tortuguero to San Jose, so timetable is really similar. Sansa arrives at the International Airport in Alajuela and Natureair at Pavas Local airport in Pavas... I would say that's not much of a terrible difference, especially if someone's picking you up at the airstrip or if a rental car agency is delivering a car there. Prices at these airlines are set on an offer / demand basis and that's why they change constantly. May is green season, and thus prices should be lower. I'd wait a little closer to your travel dates to book. Natureair has been doing a lot of work in their environmentally-friendly chapter, so my hats off to all their efforts and creating concience on that respect

9. Re: Nature air vs Sansa for flight to San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, January 31, 2010