We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

Which lodges in Tortuguero have the best tours?

Turtle Beach is full on the dates of my visit, so I need an alternative.

Also, how important is it to be able to walk to the beach (in august)?

Nuevo Arenal, Costa...
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

We have always had great success with Laguna Lodge http://www.lagunatortuguero.com/ for the mid range price range and Hotel Manatus http://www.manatuscostarica.com/ for the luxury oriented higher price range.

You cannot go wrong with either option, depending on your budget.

Cheers

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

Regarding tours most lodges offer the same tours...not big difference...Lodge...Mawamba and Laguna Lodge...at the other side of the lagoon...Pachira...and I always advice my costumers to stay away as much possible from Tortuga Lodge...overpriced ..and old...why pay more for the same!?

It is nice to be able to walk to the beach any time you feel like...at least that is the way I feel!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

Hi!

Mawamba Lodge in tortuguero is my favorite, and it's close to the beach!

They have gorgeous grounds, delicious food and great tours!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

http://travelexperta.com

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

Thank you very much! Of the lodges you suggested (Laguna, Mawamba, Manatus, and Pachira), which are the ones where you can walk to the beach?

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

Mawamba definitely!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

I'm surprised to hear someone describe Tortuga Lodge as old. We just got back from a trip there, and it was gorgeous. I had read that they recently remodeled. Our room was really cute - dark woods with windows on 3 sides and a nice balcony, nice linens. The restaurant serves 4-course gourmet quality meals by candlelight, and the tours they offer are private. We had our guide all to ourselves. It really was wonderful. On the way to the lodge, they stopped on the side of the river and gave us our own little private picnic complete with chilled, beer, wine, and great good. We can't wait to go back.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

Make that great food, not great good - lol. I'd check out the reviews and pics here on tripadvisor. That really helped us decide.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

I suggest you check into this website:

www.tortuguerovillage.com

This website has been put together by the locals from Tortuguero Village and has tons of information including a number of choices for lodging, all owned by the locals and some of them quite close to the beach. They also have a page on tours.

9. Re: Lodges in Tortuguero : best tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 17, 2010