We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Bus San Jose, CR's,Juan Santamaria airpt.- Manuel Ant

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Topic
Public Bus San Jose, CR's,Juan Santamaria airpt.- Manuel Ant

I know public bus from Manuel Antonio, Quepos, stops and lets passengers out at airport, SJO, in route to Coca Cola in San Jose. Is it possible to board bus & buy tix on bus to go directly from airport to Manuel Antonio. Everything I read says purchase tix at the Coca Cola, but if bus stops on the way in to San Jose, seems like it should stop on the outbound route. Anyone ever done it? I really want to avoid having to go into S.J. zona roja to catch bus at Coca Cola.

LMMLA

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Bus San Jose, CR's,Juan Santamaria airpt.- Manuel Ant

Sorry can't buy tickets at airport for Quepos/MA or anywhere for that matter. Trust me I always go to MA and always have to go to Coca Cola. Even the Colectivo does not stop at the airport. I believe the difference is dropping people off does not make a difference in the number of tickets you can sell plus logistically it is not as much as a hassle. The seats are paid for and the airport is only 20min from the final destination. However, to sell tickets at the airport they would have to install a device/have someone selling tickets at the airport that could communicate to the main station how many tickets are being sold so they do not oversell/under sell tickets. They only sell tickets ahead of time at the main station, not on the internet so I think it might very difficult logistically to have a stop at the airport. I do not think the demand is nearly high enough to warrant selling tickets at the airport. They just can't save 5 seats in case someone at the airport wants to take the bus to MA because if there is no one, they might have been able to sell those seats to someone at Coca Cola. Believe me I wish they did. I do not like going to Coca Cola either.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Bus San Jose, CR's,Juan Santamaria airpt.- Manuel Ant

The technical answer to your question is yes, it's possible. The problem is, you need to be in the right place to intercept the right bus (it doesn't necessarily stop) and if it's full, you're out of luck.

Since unless you really know what you're doing -- and even then -- there's a good chance you won't successfully intercept the bus, you're better off just getting yourself to "Coca Cola" and going from there.

So tell me, LMMLA, are you feeling lucky? ;-)

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Bus San Jose, CR's,Juan Santamaria airpt.- Manuel Ant

Actually, the Collectivo - 5 hour "milk run" bus does stop somewhere around the edges of Alajuela. I was once told you could get it at a certain gas station. And when we took it once, it did make a stop or 2. However, I really couldn't describe where . And I also wouldn't recommend taking the slow bus.

The "directo" on the other just speeds along the highway. Even if there are seats, I doubt if it will stop.

If you want to save the cab fare and don't have too much baggage, you can take the bus from Alajuela to San Jose which stops on the road in from of the airport and runs about every 10 minutes. Then you walk a few blocks to the Coca Cola.

good luck

raquel

4. Re: Public Bus San Jose, CR's,Juan Santamaria airpt.- Manuel Ant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, October 05, 2009