We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Which Tortuguero hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA
7 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Hi! I am going to Costa Rica for my Honey moon and will be staying at the Jungle Lodge in Tortuguero for the week. Any advice on traveling from and to the jungle lodge. I am fearful that we will not be able to explore some of the other sites of Costa Rica by staying there. Things we are looking to do are; white water rafting, the canopy tours, volcanoes, and hot springs, along with the many other activities of Costa Rica. I have been looking everywhere for advice and help, and keep finding the same info... not much. Thanks to any one who can help

St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
905 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Tortuguero is quite isolated. Not a good hub to see the rest of the country. Its about 3hrs from San Jose driving and then another hour and 1/2 by boat. Once you're there you can explore the canals by boat, hike and visit the town of Tortuguero but thats about it. To get anywhere else you have to do the boat trip out again. In my opinion, Tortuguero is a great 2 or 3 day stay max. I think a week is too long.

You'd be better off to stay in a more central area and make Tortuguero a side trip.

If you only have a week, I would probably suggest Manuel Antonio and Arenal (a good mix of the things you want) and save Tortuguero for your next visit.

Hope this helps.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

To many days there...way to many...two days is good enough...and ready to run!!

Take a one night two days package...back to San Jose...or even stay at the Caribbean side of Costa Rica...Sep-Oct-Nov...is summer there!!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Orange County, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Thanks for the advice, but Im sort of stuck here. We are going on a time share package. With (in my opinion the worst company I've ever dealt with). So as of now, we are trying to make due with what we've got. So any other suggestions any one has would be great! I am already realizing that a wek will be a lot more than we need in the one place. How hard is it to take the boat trip in and out of Tortuguero for day trips? Or should I try and book flights out of the area? Thanks again!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

It's too bad you'll be so far removed from other parts of the country. However, with all due respect to Luis and the others, one of the best things about going to Costa Rica is that every day is different. No matter how many times you may have gone on a hike, rafting, etc, the next time will be new. Some days are exciting---a bunch of new birds or animals---some are just beautiful and relaxing.

Carol

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Is not hard to find a boat ride or a plane to move around...but is expensive...Tortuguero can be very nice if you are looking for that area...but in your situation can be terrible...but lets look the good side...no many people have the chance to spend the whole week in Tortuguero!!

Luis Road Advisor.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Orange County, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Some things we would like to do are go white water rafting and go on a canopy tour. Is there any such possible tours like that in Tortuguero?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

I know that a few people on our tour group did a 'canopy tour' in Tortuguero - not the best but available. If possible, you might want to bit the bullet and spend at least a night in Arenal to enjoy the volcano, hot springs, better canopy tour - possibly rafting?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Day trips from Tortuguero are extremely limited and consist of boat trips to the north, fishing trips and boat trips through the adjacent canals. The 1.5-2 hour boat ride each way plus the fact that the boat docks are remote from typical tourist destinations means you won't be taking any day trips whitewater rafting or to see volcanoes. There is a small but very muddy hill to climb in Tortugeuro, a small town to visit and a few waterlogged trails. Please do not swim off the beaches as the water is shark-infested. There is a lot of rain but also an amzing amount of wildlife so I'm sure you will enjoy at least part of your time in Tortuguero. Even though you have a week at a timeshare, I suggest that you either add a few days to the end of your week or just skip out early and spend part of your time elsewhere.

If you take a boat back from Tortugeuro, you could arrange for a private driver to pick you up at the boat dock and transfer you to Cahuita which has a gorgeous beach inside the national park. Spend a night or two here and then go whitewater rafting on the Pacuare with Exploradores Outdoors. They will pick you up in Cahuita and transfer you to San Jose at the end of a long day of whitewater rafting.

Alternatively have a private driver meet you at the docks after 3-5 days in Tortuguero and transfer to Arenal which has great canopy tours, hot springs and an active volcano. From Arenal its a 3 hour drive back to the airport. TYour're right in your concern. There is no way that you will be able to explore some of the other sites of Costa Rica if you spend all your time at the timeshare.

Orange County, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

Thnks for al of the great advice! I think we are just going to eat the money for part of the time share and listen to what everyone has had to say. We are trying to plan a side trip towards the end of the week to the Arenal Volcano. That way we can do what we would like to do. Any suggestions of the best tour options around there would be helpful. Arenal.net has been very helpful, but if anyone can suggest anything else... that'd be awesome! We are getting into San Jose two days before our week starts, so we are going rafting then. What are some suggestions for Tortuguero. What tours are recommended, if any, or should we venture on our own? Any other suggestions are more than welcome! Thanks AGAIN! Does anyone know the travel time and best way to get from arenal to san jose airport? Oh, and should I go to Monteverde first, or can I go back and forth? Sorry... I know a lot of questions... thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Tortuguero for a week

A side trip to Arenal sounds like a great idea. You can either fly from Tortuguero back to San Jose and then fly or drive to Arenal or you could have a private driver meet you at the docks nad drive you to Arenal. The best canopy tour is Arenal Mundo Aventuras. The best float trip is to Cano Negro but I don't recommend you try that since its a long drive from Arenal and you already will have spent a lot of the trip in a boat. There's a great waterfall to see near town LaFortuna. You can go rappelling down waterfalls if you're looking for adventure. If you want a serious hike you can spend a good part of the day hiking to Cerro Chato, a extinct volcano with a crater lake or you might prefer a horseback ride through the fields. If its not raining, be sure and take a night time drive out toward Arenal Observatory Lodge to see the lava. Hot springs are a must do and most first time visitors check out Tabacon which is gorgeous but expensive. Eco termales is a great alternative but be sure and ask your hotel to make reservations as they have a cap on the number of visitors. Your hotel can arrange any of these options or there are a number of tour agencies in La Fortuna that are easy to find (It's a very small town.) No need to book excursions in advance.

Its roughly a 3 hour drive from Arenal to San Jose airport, maybe a little less. Interbus and fantasy bus are cheap transfers but they don't go to the airport - they'll drop you off at a nearby hotel where you can take a taxi. If you'd prefer a private driver just do a search on this website for private drivers and you'll come up with a list of names.

Forget Monteverde for this trip. Its a tough 3.5-5 hour trip each way and I don't think you have the time for it. If you wanted to see wildlife you'd have to overnight as not much is out in the middle of the day. If you're going to Monteverde fo the canopy tour it's not worth the long travel time, just check out canopy tours in Arenal.