We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in February

Essex County, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in February

Hi -

My 12 year-old son and I will be in Costa Rica in February and we are trying to decide to where to go. I've been to CR many times, but never to the Caribbean coast, and I would love to check it out.

We are looking to get in a few days of surfing and I am wondering what the surf is like in the PV/Cocles area middle of February. We are decent...nothing to write home about but certainly competent in the water.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Gecko Trail - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Hiking & Camping Tours
Surf the Jungle Surf School & Adventures
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Puerto Viejo Surf
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Escapade Costa Rica Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Boat Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in February

It should be pretty decent, try the popular Beach Break first and talk to other surfers for other spots.

Essex County, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in February

I know there is no way to predict, but could we reasonably expect at least waist-high sets?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing in February

You can get from knee to head high waves in the area, if you are lucky maybe bigger. Cocles Beach Break is very popular, i like Playa Grande just South of Punta Uva, if you will have wheels, just scope the area for the best breaks. Unless you know what you are doing, stay away from Salsa Brava. the reefs can be tricky.

4. Re: Surfing in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 08, 2014