We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid friendly activities in Puerto Viejo

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Kid friendly activities in Puerto Viejo

My family and I are visiting Puerto Viejo in mid-October and will be traveling with 2 young children (1 and 3 years old). We are an adventurous family and have been to CR before but this will be our first time on the caribbean coast AND it will be the first time bringing our bambinos. Are there any activities/tours that are safe for small children besides the obvious (beach, jaguar rescue center, hiking)? We are interested in hiking, maybe a tour at one of the indigenous reservations, swimming holes, waterfalls, perhaps a river tour in a dugout? Also, would you advise against any of the carnival celebrations (during the day)? Wasn't sure how safe that would be with kids.

Caribesur
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid friendly activities in Puerto Viejo

We are interested in hiking, maybe a tour at one of the indigenous reservations, swimming holes, waterfalls, perhaps a river tour in a dugout? Also, would you advise against any of the carnival celebrations (during the day)? Wasn't sure how safe that would be with kids.

October is a great time to be in caribe sur when it comes to weather unless you are surfer since the swell is small during that month but makes it great for kids. I would recomend Playa Chiquita that has natural corals that in some places form little swimming pools that are ideal for kids as long as they are attended too. In the center of town right in front of el Chino is another good kiddie spot. I would probably stay away from canoing in dugouts as i am not sure they would have life savers for small kids but the Grand Parade is fine to visit with kids. I was there last year during the day and while festive it was orderly. The waterfall under the bridge in Cataratas on the way to BriBri has areas that I judge fine for kids and it doesnt require a big long hike into the jungle with all that it entails but just a short walk down from the guarded parking area. I am sure you and your family will have a great time here with the bambinos. Safe journeys

Sarasota, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid friendly activities in Puerto Viejo

Great information. Muchas gracias!

3. Re: Kid friendly activities in Puerto Viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, October 03, 2014