We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on our itinerary

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Thoughts on our itinerary

We (husband and wife in early 30s) are thinking about following itinerary:

Husband arrives to San Jose (air tickets has been bought) and drive to Puerto Viejo via Tuis (to pick up wife) – thinking about renting a car from airport and dropping in Puerto Viejo. Rent a car in Puerto Viejo if feel like we need it.

Stay in Puerto Viejo for 4 nights

Leave for Bocas Del Toro in the morning and stay there for 4 nights – from whatever I read this should be around 4-5 hours commute including crossing border

Leave for San Jose airport and in the morning and stay there for a night and catch 11 am flight next day.

What are your thoughts?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary

Sounds good to me. remember the drive from the airport via Turrialba will be 5.5 hours minimum and you should do that during daylight. For a car drop off in Puerto Viejo you may want to see into Poas car rental, they are the only ones with an agency close by.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary

Adobe rent a car which has a location in Limon also does not mind PV drops offs.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,084 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary

I like your itinerary...good that you are asking...try as much as possible to deal direct with travel services providers ....avoid as much as possible some starving pushy middle people they just care for money...and will try to promote themselves or some funny places they own or represent...

Roadadvisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary

Sounds good, as I mentioned on your other post, I would spend the first night near airport before heading to Tuis and on to Puerto Viejo. It get dark around 6pm and is not fun or safe to drive long distances in Costa Rica, especially if you ar not familiar with road and driving conditions there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
42 posts
5. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary

So after reading responses here and on the other thread, we have decided to change the itinerary. I would either stay in San Jose on the night I arrive and start early next morning or would drive to Tuis and stay there over night and would go to Puerto Viejo the next day.

6. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 27, 2014