We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

We're thinking about doing the rafting transfer from San Jose to Puerto Viejo. I'm having a hard time figuring out how much time we will be in a vehicle. The itinerary is kind of vague. It's about two hours from San Jose to the rafting start. It kind of looks like we would do a couple more hours of driving at the end of the rafting tour. Other than including a fun day of rafting, it doesn't seem like we really have any less time on the road than if we transferred straight there by shuttle. Does anyone know how much driving time there is at the end of the rafting tour? Or if we truly have any less total time in a vehicle?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,184 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

About 3 more hours from Siquirres to Puerto Viejo

Roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

The transfers with the WWRR are easier as they take care of all of the details and, for example, if they're late getting off the river, you're covered. If you book your own and you miss it...it's too bad for you. Just do the transfer, it's very stress-free and you'll have a great time. Enjoy! :-)

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
125 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

DO IT!!!!! I've suggested this option to just about every guest to ever visit us. It is a blast! The guides are some of the most professional I've ever known, so kind, gentle and proud of their country telling stories and pointing out things along the way. In the US we did a lot of WWR, having ran nearly every river in the NW of any consequence, the Sarapiqui is among the best I've ever been SIMPLY AWESOME.

If you have a lot of time, i actually suggest the 2-day trip. We prefer Exploradores, and have done the trip several times, even though we live here. It's that fun. The stay at the lodge up on top of the ridde overlooking the river is incredible... even has a hot tub! A one day raft/shuttle starts with a 6:00 AM pick up at your SJO hotel, a 2 hour drive to the headquarter/take-out in Siquirres. Then they feed you breakfast (good, solid, Tico food) load you in buses for about another shorter drive to the river put in. You're on the water about 9:30 ish, and about 12:00 they stop along the way to set up a great sandwich/salad buffet (weather permitting). Then another 2+ hours on the river until you end back where you had breakfast. You'll load another bus and be dropped off at your hotel in Puerto about 6:00 PM. Your luggage is securely stored while you're away, the guides are amazing, the vans are comfortable, the facility has ample restrooms to change into dry clothes.

Given the price, it's a heck of a bargain. Two meals, door-to-door shuttle, and a heck of a good time.... I don't know why you wouldn't!

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

Thanks, guys. When I originally looked into this, I thought it might be a way to shave off some of the vehicle time getting to Puerto Viejo since this is going to be a very short trip in Costa Rica. Even if it doesn't really do that, it breaks it up, and it would be a blast. And, as Janick said, it's a heck of a bargain. We will likely go for it!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

It is the number one excursion for all our guests at Banana Azul. Canopy is second.

No, it does not shave driving, but it breaks it up nicely. You arrive at your hotel at about 5:30. Just in time to rest and have dinner.

Have fun!

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

Hi Colin. We're hoping to stay at Banana Azul, but we can't firm up our plans for a few more days since we are waiting for a family member's medical test results. Crossing my fingers you won't book up before then (and obviously for good results)!

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

We are all set with rafting and a few nights at Banana Azul. Really looking forward to it!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

That sounds good. Sorry I did not respond sooner. Was on the road. Hope you have a great trip!

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

Thanks, Colin.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rafting transfer to Puerto Viejo

Hi, I know this post has been dead for a couple of months but I am hoping you will see this and be able to give me some insight! I have been reading through Puerto Viejo reviews like crazy for the past week and think I have narrowed the bones of our trip down to a couple hotels and activities. I saw this post about doing a 2-day rafting trip with Exploradores and then staying at Banana Azul after. I was just wondering if the trip was worth spending the extra day on or if the 1-day would be fine. Was there a lot of hiking? I originally wanted to go to Arenal for 2 days and hike around there before going to PV, but if you can get the same thing out of this trip and it includes transportation, food and rafting, then thats even better! Any input would be much appreciated!!