We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Viejo for a Week

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Viejo for a Week

Hi!

Two friends and I will be staying near Cocles for about 9 days in early March. We are in our late twenties.

I haven't been to PV since summer 2004 and neither of my friends have ever been.

I know this is a pretty broad/vague questions but..

How has PV changed since 2004? When I was there, the only real nightlife spot had just burned down. The town seemed very safe. I even walked from downtown PV all the way to Playa Chiquita by myself late at night. I won't be doing that again! There were very few tourists around. Captain Zero tried to hustle me but besides that I never had anyone really approach me during the entire visit. It was a great time.

Is the town still that safe? Where are the places that people hang out in the evenings? Are there new bars? Is there more tourist hustle? Is beer still $.75? Is Cafe Rico still open? Any "must do things" while we are there?

Thanks! Any updates or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dover, Delaware
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

Tigger

I wtent in Octoberr wiith my two boys 10 and 8 and we had a great time. We stay south of Puerto viejo most of the tme. Manzanillo is safe and beautiful. Stand up paddle boarding was great. If you go up rive you will see lots of monkeys and soths. Playa Chiquita and Punta Uva have beutiful beaches. I would recommend surfing lessons from the guys on the beach. My boys has a blast. Have fun

Edited: 6:56 pm, April 21, 2013
Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
120 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

To folks traveling with young children-- GOOD FOR YOU!

My first visit to "this side" was in 2004 with my 4 kids (12, 15, 17, 19). The drug seen was evident, but not pushy. In fact, funny story, one of the notorious drug dealers of the day actually cautioned me that my youngest had been looking at a pipe. Seriously. I had met him earlier in the day, told him i didn't want to buy anything, gave him "a red" (a mil colones= $2) and a quart of milk to watch my car, and asked him not to harass me or my kids. Later that night, my kids are looking at the booths, i'm in a restaurant across the street. I go to check on my kids and he pulls me aside sayin'... "don't worry momma, i won't sell your kids no trouble". My son later explained the same situation, but his version was he didn't know it was a pipe and was attracted to the gecko carved into it.

Nearly 10 years later, not a whole lot has changed in that way. If you want drugs, you will likely find them. If you don't, (and I suggest you don't), be straight up and tell them you're not interested. This place is NOT like Cancun, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta where you're constantly shook down by dealers, vendors, beggars or all the above.

We do have our local panhandlers (weird word), there are about a handful of them who will stop you at the market or offer to watch your car while you dine. I've decided against giving money, and have told them that, for the most part. But, when they watch my car, carry my groceries, clean up beach litter, recycle bottles, whatever, I'm quick to reward them with a loaf of bread, cold juice, or hygiene item they ask for.

Most of the vendors approaching you on the beach (and there aren't many, but 1-2 during a busy weekend) are foreigners trying to make it here selling baked goods or jewelry. I sometimes wish the pipa fria vendors (water coconuts) were more industrious... as there is nothing like a cold pipa on a hot beach!

I think you and your kids will have a great time. I think you will have some great teachable moments to share with your kids about living simply, making good choices, being active, respecting the earth and honoring diversity of all people.

Let us know how it goes, please.

Anasco, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

Me and my wife are going to be there May29-June7 going to be great fun

14. Re: Puerto Viejo for a Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 17, 2014