We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

Trinidad, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

We are a young couple hoping to get advice on planning a budget honeymoon in Costa Rica in August. We like jungle and beaches and cool small towns, and are not so much into the resort scene. We only have 2 weeks, and we have from about August 12-August 26, so in the rainy season. Despite this, I'm hoping to find a place that has some nice beaches that aren't too overrun, and cool things (i.e. a place to have a beer on the beach, eat out cheaply, etc) to walk to as we are hoping to not rent a car. I've been told that often you can have sunny mornings and rain in the afternoon, especially in the Nicoya peninsula, so we were thinking there. Ideally we'd find a simple little cabina with some privacy rather than a room in a hotel, but in the 40-70 USD a night range. Normally we'd go for the cheapest funky fun little hostels but I think for our honeymoon we're hoping for a bit more privacy and romance. Any advice on where to go given the season? We were thinking Montezuma and/or Santa Teresa along the southern Nicoya Peninsula. I've heard that the caribbean side is extra hot that time of year, plus it's the hurricane season, so we thought it was better to go to the Nicoya peninsula...any thoughts? We would perhaps try and rent a place for the bulk of the time in a cool beach area (1 week to 10 days maybe, perhaps near Montezuma) and then have one side trip (how many days would be good?) to see some cloud forest (we were thinking Monteverde) on the way back to San Jose to fly out at the end of the trip. I'd love recommendations on cool towns, places to go, cute little huts/cabinas to rent, anything! We will have about $70-$100 USD per day to spend. Thank you very much!!!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Montezuma
Montezuma
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
613 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

I just looked at the map that Cubanon posted, and if I'm reading it correctly (?) it looks like Mal Pais gets more rain in August than the Puerto Viejo area. However, if you do decide to go to the Mal Pais area, I HIGHLY recommend staying at La Hacienda Tropical. We spent a week there last June and it was amazing! This is their website: http://www.lahaciendamalpais.com/ and you can read my Tripadvisor review here tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309273-d154747… I posted it on July 29th after we got back. I posted about several of the things we did in that area. If you have any questions - feel free to message me. We definitely want to go back to that area, as we loved it. However, we are going on a trip this June to Punta Uva - on Caribbean side and staying at Korrigan's Lodge! I haven't been there yet, but everything I read sounds so good, so...I think it's a win/win either way! I would just look to the locals to know for sure which area has better weather during that time slot. We did get some rain in MP in June, but it was usually at night. I liked it when it downpoured! It made me sleep well! We only got stuck in a downpour on a beach during the day once. We tried to take cover under some palm trees. It was warm though, so it was ok!

Mentioned in this post
Mal Pais
Mal Pais
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

Here is a good chart for Puerto Viejo weather trends. Has stats from 2002 to 2011.

www.puertoviejosatellite.com/weather.php

On subject of Bocas del Toro, it is a place I highly recommend as a combo trip with Puerto Viejo. However, I am not sure what's up lately, but the latest feedback we have had from numerous guests is that they have not enjoyed their stay.

Biggest complaints were town is way too noisy. Service everywhere is really bad and Hotels and place overall were looking rundown.

My suspicion is that ever since that other Panama airline went broke, they lost a huge slice of their tourist traffic.

I need to go over there again soon and look for myself. Cheers, Colin.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
125 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

Hi! I live in Playa Chiquita, a 20 minute bike ride from Puerto Viejo. This little village is full of cabinas, single houses, and moderately priced lodges for rent. We boast great restaurants, a small store ridiculously stocked with everything you could crave, and some of the BEST beaches.

I love Bocas del Toro, but honestly, more than 3 days there and I'm pretty bored. The beaches are minimal, though it's an archipelago, most of the islands are clusters of mangroves without any sandy spot for a towel. The few public beaches are very very crowded, nice, but very crowded.

I think you might like a vacation/honeymoon that combines BdT and PV/PC. From PV area you can make any day trip to Manzanillo, Cahuita or even a Bribri Indigenous village. Beaches are crazy plentiful and if the one you're at is too crowded, walk 100 yards to the next one... that's what I do!!

LaKakula Lodge in Playa Chiquita is a favorite with eco-travelers, if you want something more secluded, in Manzanillo El Arbol is beautiful and secluded, in Cocles Geckoes Lodge is a perfect honeymoon treat.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Chiquita
Playa Chiquita
351 Reviews
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Cahuita
Cahuita
14. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...