We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trinidad, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

We are a young couple hoping to get advice on planning a budget honeymoon in Costa Rica in August. We like jungle and beaches and cool small towns, and are not so much into the resort scene. We only have 2 weeks, and we have from about August 12-August 26, so in the rainy season. Despite this, I'm hoping to find a place that has some nice beaches that aren't too overrun, and cool things (i.e. a place to have a beer on the beach, eat out cheaply, etc) to walk to as we are hoping to not rent a car. I've been told that often you can have sunny mornings and rain in the afternoon, especially in the Nicoya peninsula, so we were thinking there. Ideally we'd find a simple little cabina with some privacy rather than a room in a hotel, but in the 40-70 USD a night range. Normally we'd go for the cheapest funky fun little hostels but I think for our honeymoon we're hoping for a bit more privacy and romance. Any advice on where to go given the season? We were thinking Montezuma and/or Santa Teresa along the southern Nicoya Peninsula. I've heard that the caribbean side is extra hot that time of year, plus it's the hurricane season, so we thought it was better to go to the Nicoya peninsula...any thoughts? We would perhaps try and rent a place for the bulk of the time in a cool beach area (1 week to 10 days maybe, perhaps near Montezuma) and then have one side trip (how many days would be good?) to see some cloud forest (we were thinking Monteverde) on the way back to San Jose to fly out at the end of the trip. I'd love recommendations on cool towns, places to go, cute little huts/cabinas to rent, anything! We will have about $70-$100 USD per day to spend. Thank you very much!!!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

The Caribbean side of Costa Rica Is usually nice and sunny with calm seas that time of the year, perfect for swimming and snorkeling, but it always cool down at night so you can sleep comfortably with a fan. The Pacific side is usually in middle of rainy season, so expect some rain. Check out this nice lodge,

http://www.korriganlodge.com/ a little more than your budget, but they include breakfasts and bike rental, so that saves you some money, is located on a beautiful jungle location, a five minute walk to Punta Uva Beach, one of the most beautiful in Costa Rica.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

The Caribbean side will be cooler then the Pacific. It will be more humid, but temperature wise, cooler.

Korrigan Lodge is great and very well reviewed. The only thing to keep in mind is depending on what you are looking for, it might feel far away from other things.

If you want to stay on budget, I would check out La Costa de Papito. They are well known for being a romantic favorite as well.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

I think the Montezuma/Santa Teresa area has what you're looking for: beach, walk to everything (or bike), cheap places to eat, etc. I really like Hotel Manala and I"m sure you could get a good price for staying 10 days-just pay cash. :-) It's small, has its own pool, cool bungalows, very romantic!

Monteverde would definitely not be on the way to San Jose but you could look at the Los Angeles Cloud Forest in San Ramon (look up Villa Blanca hotel) and maybe spend your last night or 2 there)-very romantic and only 1.5 hours from the airport. :-) Enjoy!

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
559 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

You will like the Caribbean side. It's beautiful. September and October are actually the dry months so if you're going around end of August I'm pretty sure you'll get some nice sunny weather.

The beach in Puerto Viejo may be slightly busier with lots of surfers. But you can always find a nice spot to have beer. Lots of nice restaurants and bars. If you go further southeast, Punta Uva is a beautiful natural beach (I said natural because it's not the resort type of beach where you'll see resort workers cleaning up seaweeds and cigarette butts. It's a natural beach). If you like to bike, you can always buy some beer and snacks from the little stores and hang out at Punta Uva beach (that's what we did).

Eating out may be a little expensive. If you're on budget, you may want to consider staying at a place where it's equipped with kitchen (such as a vacation home). Fresh produce are very cheap. You can buy them in stores or on the side of the road. Some times you may see trucks passing by with loads of veggies and fruits for sale. There's a butcher shop in Puerto Viejo by the beach. It's on Calle 215, although the Ticos don't really use street names... :)

Good luck and have fun. Congratulations.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
733 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

In August, especially late August, the advice to look to the Caribbean coast is all good.

However, one of the converted old banana plantation homes at Los Cocos in Playa Zancudo is worth a look...

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

To add to the food post, restaurants with nice menus, that include fresh fish, veggies, etc., are expensive in PV area. On a honeymoon, I would not assume or expect you to be cooking, i.e., renting a place with full kitchen, maybe a coffee pot and micro in your room would suffice. You are better off eating most of your meals at sodas, plentiful there. Splurge a couple times at a nice restaurant.

As for produce, the produce that street vendors is higher than the megasuper or other markets, you should go to the Saturday produce which farmers bring in downtown PV where you will really save, buy enough to do you several days.

Congratulations, and enjoy that beautiful piece of paradise!

Edited: 2:39 pm, January 23, 2013
Trinidad, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

Thank you for the wonderful advice everyone! We've just been suggested that we look at Bocas del Toro off of Panama, which looks pretty amazing. So now we are trying to decide between 1) Nicoya/Mal Pais/Santa Teresa/Montezuma etc., 2) Puerto Viejo/Playa Uva/Cahuita etc and 3)Bocas del Toro

They all look amazing! hoping to find a cheap place to relax on the beach in the sun on our honeymoon with some interesting natural places and towns to explore. We are a young, well-traveled couple that doesn't need anything too fancy or resorty, and our hope is to find a nice hut on a beach or within easy walking distance to a good swimming area. We don't surf, but could be interested in trying. We would like to spend most of our time relaxing on the beach, swimming, reading a book in a hammock, mixing cocktails on our private porch with a nice view of jungle or beach, cooking simple meals together, exploring a jungle and perhaps kayaking or taking a boat trip/tour, and going out for the occasional meal or drink out at interesting (but not too posh or pricy) restaurants. I think we would like to spend some time isolated but also would like some mellow social things to do occasionally.

Thoughts on which of those three areas (keeping in mind we would be traveling in August, roughly the 12-26)?

Again, thank you VERY much!!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

I would say 2 day maybe three days max in Bocas, you can easily split your time between Puerto Viejo and Bocas. You can travel on your own or use a service such as http://caribeshuttle.com/ to help you out.

Trinidad, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

The more I look around, the more people make it sounds awfully rainy in the PV/Cahuita area and Bocas del Toro...of course no one can know for sure and it seems to be pretty unpredictable. On a "normal" trip I would be completely game for exploring the beaches and jungles in the rain (and have done so lots!) but I have a hunch that for my honeymoon I'll be disappointed if we don't get some relaxation time in the sun on the beach and some warm water to swim in. We'll be traveling from around August 12-26th, and my hope was that if we stick around in one place for the full two weeks the chances of rain for the whole time is slim and that we'd likely get to play in the sun...but is that just me ignoring the facts of trying to travel in the rainy season? Am I being overly optimistic?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica in August - tips please!

Here is a excellent weather map that you can use, but of course nothing is for sure. costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html